Head Loss Calculator

Hello all!

I thought I would share a great tool to calculate Head Loss for those looking to add to their RSM Systems.

I used this when adding a chiller and things to find the right size pump to use. There are several options to choose from.

Thanks to reefcentral.com just click on the link below.

Hope this helps everyone!

Reef Central Online Community

dmyers557

Very nice find. I am going to subscribe to tis thread as I plan to install a chiller in the near future.

jellyman

Yes it will work on a closed loop.

I am being told that Head Loss on a closed loop has nothing to do with distance and pipe diamter. Only with friction and number of elbows??

This does not seem correct to me. The weight of the water still needs to be pushed to the tank. Am I missing something??

jellyman

No you are not missing anything, if it is going up you have head loss.

Below is what I am being told. I have been using closed loops for over 10 years and this is the first I have ever heard of this "theory."

"The vertical distance has no impact in a closed loop. The weight of the water pusing down into the pump on the suction side offsets the weight against the pump on the output side."

"Yes it is true about the head pressure regarding a CL pump, the only head pressure is from friction loss (elbows, ball valves and pipe restriction)"

"In a closed loop the pump does not have to push water up before it falls back to the pump, the pump is connected by plumbing that is "flooded" even when the power is out, so the water is there either way, the pump just gives it direction. Submersible pumps are simply closed loops really, this can help illustrate the idea and make it easier to understand."

"You can trust that this is not a "theory" but fact. a submersible pump when submerged acs as a closed loop, no matter how you extend the outlet of the pump or inlet of the pump, as long as it is submerged on the outlet it is acting under no head pressure other than friction loss from the piping. The same works for a closed loop pump, as long as the outlet of the pump is submerged under water you are working under zero head pressure from height."