Having trouble sleeping??

Mellwood

For many years I've had both fresh and salt water aquariums. Like lots of folks, I've timed the lighting to stay on into the evening hours so I could enjoy the watching of the critters. For many years I've also battled sleep issues as well as depression. I spent years on Ambien until I made a trip to the supermarket in the middle of the night and bought a bunch of stuff that I have absolutely no memory of. At least one item I bought that night had something to do with fish stuff........canned squid in ink.......sort of an intro to my long sought solution to my sleep issues. A few weeks ago, I was at my wits end. Go to bed tired, wake up a couple hours later, toss and turn, doze off, wake up at 5. Tried everything, buy a new bed, buy new bedding. Buy different pillows. I was taking 4-5 Simply Sleep (basically antihistamine based sleep aid), and still no relief. Warm showers, warm milk, SleepyTime tea, I've tried them all. In a last ditch effort before heading to the doctor for another prescription something or other, I did some web surfing and ran across articles about blue light interfering with melatonin production, which trashes your circadian cycles. I read several research articles tying specific receptors in your eyeballs to different light wavelengths and sleep. Basically, we are wired to experience sunset (orange and red light) before dark to trigger natural melatonin production and the onset of sustained normal sleep. Same thing for waking. The presence of blue light triggers alertness and wakefulness. There are even software (f.lux) that can kill the blue light from computers and phones. What I've been doing for years is eliminating sunset completely. My brain was unable to transition from the "equatorial high noon" from the aquarium lights to anything resembling normal sleep, plus watching TV and surfing on tablets, phones, and laptop. So, again surfing around, I determined a plan of action. Mission : Eliminate blue light after 6:30pm and see what happens. For the last two weeks, I've run the lights on the aquariums (LEDs) to transition to blue at 5:30, and then off at 6:30. Bought some blue blocker glasses off Amazon, and some amber LED strip lights. Made up an amber LED backlight for the flat panel TV, built a couple of night lights for the bedroom and living room, and set about trying it out. Made no other changes in my habits. At 8:30pm, I turn on the amber backlights on the TV and the night lights. Put on the blue blocker glasses, and go about what I normally have done. Watch TV (colors are a little off but not bad considering the alternative), surf the web, etc. Hit the hay about 11.

The difference the first night was amazing. I actually slept through most of the night, though I still did a bunch of tossing and turning. The second night, I slept through till 7 am. I haven't done that in more than 10 years without medication. By the third night, I was sleeping soundly all night. Not waking, not tossing, not flipping pillows 20 times. I've also been feeling much much better. I'm retired, and arthritis and age are taking a toll, but I have to say I haven't felt this well in quite some time. I sleep. More important than anything, I sleep like a semi normal person. I don't know if you have the same challenge, or if it will work for you if you are suffering like me, but what I have now, I wouldn't trade for anything.

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

Interesting perspective. I don't think I have an average brain pattern, I could be watching my tank til I fall asleep if it was in my room.
There are some people wired to be more prone to have insomnia and you have probably reset / reoptimized your brainwaves to calm and shut down using those natural triggers.

I'm curious if anyone else has this issue regularly.

There is a place near me here in MI,http://brainlifecenter.com/ that uses audible brainwave optimization vs visual (like you are doing Mel ) to cure insomnia as well as many other issues.
Not sure how many similar places may be around the country. The brain is a very curious organ we know less about than most are willing to admit.

Paul B

This is very interesting and I may try it as I rarely sleep. I try, but it is always a failure. I wake up at 2:00 or 2:15 and slowly open my eyes hoping it is 6:00 or so. :confused:

Mellwood

Paul B., you are describing my nights, every night, for the last 10-15 years...........this is blessed relief, believe me. There's even a syndrome named for it......DSPS

https://www.sleepassociation.org/patients-general-public/delayed-sleep-phase-syndrome/

Here are the blue blockers I chose, mostly because they're more orange than some of the others. They work GREAT outdoors during the day too!!!

http://amzn.com/B019DMZZUU

There are others, the most popular are these

http://amzn.com/B000USRG90

If you read the reviews, this is not a new idea, they're selling tons of these.

Here are the LED strips. I bought 8 for the tv and 4 more to make nite lites out of. Have some 610nm on order from eBay. The more orange than yellow the better supposedly. Used a couple of 12v wall wart power supplies outta the spares box to run the LEDs.

http://amzn.com/B00K1KNCOK

Paul B

I think I am going to try this. My wife, who also has MS has much more trouble than I do but she is in pain a lot.

Mellwood

One sure thing, it can't hurt, and it's cheap to try. If nothing else, it's another pair of sunglasses. Ideal for time on the water.....;)

Good luck, and I hope you find as much relief as I have.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Paul B

One sure thing, it can't hurt, and it's cheap to try. If nothing else, it's another pair of sunglasses. Ideal for time on the water.....;)

Good luck, and I hope you find as much relief as I have.

If I don't. I will be knocking on your door at 3:00am. :heeeelp:

DaveK

All this stuff is nice and you can try it, but if your really having a sleep problem, the best thing to do is go to your doctor and get them to refer you to a doctor that specializes in sleep disorders. Yes, it's a pain running around to doctors, possible tests and so on, but they really can do wonders in many cases.

I don't want to go into details here, but I will say I speak from experience.

Mellwood

All this stuff is nice and you can try it, but if your really having a sleep problem, the best thing to do is go to your doctor and get them to refer you to a doctor that specializes in sleep disorders. Yes, it's a pain running around to doctors, possible tests and so on, but they really can do wonders in many cases.

Been there, done that. Not one doctor ever asked about exposure to lighting. They all wanted to try another medication or combination of. Have had MRIs, CT scans, EEGs, you name it. Went to the local University sleep center. They prescribed Lunesta.......not everything can be resolved with a pill, nor apparently needs to be. Perhaps you missed some of that in my original post. Your mileage may vary.

Paul B

My wife and I went to the Doctor. He was sleeping.
I ordered the glasses. I am getting sleepy already.