Harliquin Shrimp Care

EllisJuan

I picked up a Harliquin and was told he eats starfish. He recommended droping in a chocolate starfish for home every 1 to 2 weeks. Does this sound right? I could alwats use advice from someone with experience with these guys.

Here is a pic of mine chowing on a chocolate chip:

7dac742c1.jpg

Personally I think he hs a great looking specimen and cant believe the pics thsis iPhone 4 can take.

Thanks for any advice.

Midnight

That sounds about right when it comes to feeding. Just keep a eye on it because if the starfish dies quick and starts to rot he will leave it and it can really mess up your tank lvl's.

GlassMunky

I knew someone that would house a choc chip in their sump and then once a wek or so would just cut off one arm and put it in there for the harliquin. then the starfish can heal without stress in the sump so you dont have to keep buying starfish....

Congrats on your new critter! Harlequin shrimp are very fun to keep.

I think the LSF is trying to sell starfish, you COULD feed weekly (expensive), however monthly will be fine. Also its wise to QT your starfish (I'm a firm believer in QT'ing anything wet), unless the shrimp is in a tank without fish, otherwise your fish could be potentially infected with disease.

Here is a useful link... Harlequin Shrimp

Noel102284

Ive had one for about 6 months now and i just maintain sand sifting stars in the tank and he goes and grabs one whenever he feels like it.