Harlequin Shrimp

Kazzy

I love these little guys, and I have wanted one for a long time, but I don't know if they eat those little white starfish. I have hundreds (quite literally) of them in my tank, and a few of them are an inch from the tips of the arms to the opposite ones. Could a Harlequin survive on a diet of this kind of starfish? And are they reef-safe (not including starfish)?

P.S.
A harlequin wouldn't mess with my serpent star, would it?

lcstorc

Odd though it sounds I once saw a serpent star eat a harlequin. They were in adjoining tanks as the lfs and the owner couldn't find the one until we turned the starfish over. It was a very odd sight.

Kazzy

Grant here is all the information you ever wanted to know about Harlequin shrimps from Chuck's Addiction web site. Happy reading!:D

Harlequin Shrimp
Thanks Scott! That is a great site.
Anyways, that site said that the little white starfish are an accepted food source. I could always put a little piece of live rock in my skimmer box with some starfish on it so that the stars can breed in safety. I think I'll ask the owner of the LFS if he can get a pair or maybe just one harlequin shrimp and in the meantime try to get my starfish population up.