Hard corals

Barcochris

I know that you are tired of my questions, I am sorry ( only a little though) can you keep hard corals under P.C. light If so what kind? I ahve 2 96 watt 12K and 2 65 watt actinic

mps9506

As long as you have the proper water conditions, are able to maintain Ca/alk, the short answer would be yes, you can keep hard corals under pc's.
I personally would only recomend lower light hard corals.
Most montipora sp., pocilopora sp. would be my intial recomendations.

TalkingReef

mps9506 said:
As long as you have the proper water conditions, are able to maintain Ca/alk, the short answer would be yes, you can keep hard corals under pc's.
I personally would only recomend lower light hard corals.
Most montipora sp., pocilopora sp. would be my intial recomendations.

i agree, for the most part. normally i would not recommend any SPS under PC lights, its usually not enough for them, and when you try it, you have to pay more ettnetion to feeding and such, becuase they are not going to be able to produce as much food on there own. as MPS9506 stated, stick with the montiporas and such, i wouldnt even attempt acro's.
if you have never kept SPS before or coral for that matter, i would say dont try it, you will most likely just be disapointed and frustrated.

i have heard (and seen pics) of peoples tank that have found ways to keep SPS under PC, adn one even under NO bulbs, but these are extreme Reefers who know more than most people even care to know

ReefLady

Staff member
I'm gonna have to disagree with these guys, you asked about "hard corals" and to me that means LPs corals as well as SPS... I have had many, many LPS corals thrive under Pc lighting including hammer, torch, frogspawn, bubble, and candycane. With the proper CA/Alk balance, any of those corals will not only survive, but thrive under your lighting, as would other LPs corals like brains, acanthastrea and others. If you feel the need to try SPS with your lighting, I would recommend montipora digitata... it may turn brown, but it will do well.

T

TalkingReef

Travis said:
I'm gonna have to disagree with these guys, you asked about "hard corals" and to me that means LPs corals as well as SPS...

great point...
i did make the assumption (and specified in my post) SPS.
but you are right, many LPS coral will do quite well under PC lighting...

Barcochris

Thank you guys I hope soon that I will be one of the guys doling out great awnsers like you guys have for me:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
If you guys only saw some of the SPS tanks kept under T5's especially in Europe you'd be blown away ! I don't know if the T5's compare with the typical PC's available here in the states in intensity since there's no data available on them particularly in PAR #'s but yes you can keep SPS with PC's if you have enough of them but you may not get the colors you'll get with MH's.

I ahve 2 96 watt 12K and 2 65 watt actinic

What size tank are we talking about ? How deep is the tank ?

Barcochris

I think that it is 110-125 the depth is 24 inches. I also have a 30 to 40 gallon sump that will have pc or t-5 not sure what I am going to do there.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Then you have nowhere near the amount of light you'd need for SPS, even LPS would not do very well wit that amount of light. I would seriously consider increasing the amount of light in that tank especially with a depth of 24".

mps9506

cheeks69 said:
Then you have nowhere near the amount of light you'd need for SPS, even LPS would not do very well wit that amount of light. I would seriously consider increasing the amount of light in that tank especially with a depth of 24".

I would agree. At that light level I would only suggest soft corals polyps and mushrroms.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Do you have a canopy or a hood ? There are so many options. If you don't have a canopy then you can either get a hood or pendant, if you have a canopy you can add a retro kit.

ReefLady

Staff member
Here I come to disagree again... :)

Keep the LPS at the top of the rockwork, directly under your bulbs and you should still be fine. :)

Caulastrea (candycane), by the way, is a great lower-light LPS coral. People used to keep that stuff under normal-output bulbs.

Cisco Kid

I have to agree with Travis. I have a 120 gal tank with 520 watts of pc lites.
Have Hammer coral
Bubble coral
Colt
Pagoda
Clove
Toadstool
Yellow Leather
and quite a few more and all are looking vibrant and healthy

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Yes I agree that with 520w you could probably keep almost anything, even some of the more light demanding livestock.