Hanging Lights

AJinNY

I want to get the 90 gallon Oceanic tech series tank. It will be fish only with live rock.

The guy at the LFS suggested that lights hanging from the ceiling would be more dramatic.

Do you agree? Have any photos to give me an idea of how this would look in my living room?

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
For a FOWLER it would be a matter of preference, but if you do get MH and hang them you will be all set up to add corals later if you want. If you get a PC fixture, it would need to be on legs over the tank and you would be limited to future use. As for the "drama" it depends on the look you like.

Witfull

hanging lights "light up" the room to much for my taste,,,i want the light in the tank, not around it.

AJinNY

Have any photos of lights hanging from the ceiling? What exactly do they call these lights so i can google myself.
Thanks.

AJinNY

thANKS GUYS....if i did these hanging lights.....this 9- gallon tank is 48 inches long....would the light also be as long? if not i think it would look funny.

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
T5 is a step up from PC and will work great for a FOWLER and even some corals, I would go with 2 actinics, 1 6500k and 1 10000k bulbs, that will give you good spectrum from yellowish, white and blue.

lcstorc

Personally I don't like the look of pendants in most cases. I have seen a couple of setups where they look really cool but for my use I bought a light that has mh and pc.
If you don't want a reef you should be just fine with PC lights. If you think you may change your mind then go with either T5 or MH. Not sure how deep your tank is but T5 or even a good amount of PC lights should be fine for softies.

boozeman

Sifiligoi just came out with a beautifull t5 pendant..don't know what your budget is...this may be 'over the top'