Hammer corals

Will a branching hammer sting a wall hammer?
lost a polyp today for no reason
the lfs said they wont but i never did get a warm fuzzy feeling from him

Jeremy0322

already not trusting the LFS, you my friend are ahead of the curve. I dont know the answer to your question, just liked reading that part!

squiers007

I would have to vote for yes on this one. Just think about competition for space on a reef, one coral doesnt care what coral is next to it (if it is related or not) it just wants the space so I would say if a coral has the ability to sting another coral (like a hammer coral does) it will sting anything that gets in the way.

just getting a little ticked off at that one
lost a polyp a cpl weeks ago
all other inhabitants doing well
water is good
how long do branching polyps live?

lcstorc

Did you loose a polyp or an entire branch?
I've never heard of the lifespan of a branch but it is many many years. They just keep growing and expanding unless something happens to them.
Generally hammers are less likely to sting other hammers or euphilias but that is certainly not a guarantee. If they seem to be stinging each other, I would separate them and see if that improves things.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No they are in the same FAMILY! All the "Euphies" get along well with each other. I've got "cousins" in this family literally growing into each other and THRIVING!

Google the term Euphyllia and you'll learn a lot more.

This is a GREAT coral but has some specific needs that need to be considered.

No they are in the same FAMILY! All the "Euphies" get along well with each other. I've got "cousins" in this family literally growing into each other and THRIVING!

Google the term Euphyllia and you'll learn a lot more.

This is a GREAT coral but has some specific needs that need to be considered.

2nd.