Halimeda

Cougra

I recently got some Halimeda sp. and I'm amazed at it's growth rate! I was under the impression that this was a slow growing macro and I'm getting new leaves growing on it every two or three days!

How fast does it grow for you? Anything I should be cautious about? If I'm not mistaken, Halimeda requires calcuim correct?

It seems like the new leaf appears overnight! It's so cool compared to the caulerpa that I'm used to! I'll try getting a photo up tonight.

BoomerD

Yep, Halimedia requires quite a bit of calcium. It'll suck the calcium right outa your tank! :D I had a small sprout start on some live rock last January. By Mid-summer, I was pruning every other day, and Finally, in October, I hacked it off at the base, traded it in at one of the LFS, and only kept a couple of frags. I had a hard time maintaining my calcium levels, & it looked like a stinkin hedge! Shadowed too many light sensitive organisms to allow it to continue to grow where it was. Now, it's fairly in check, and everything is happier.

J_T

well I don't know about depleating calcium, I have never had problems with mine. I do have to get a new test. I don't fully trust mine. But whether the tests indicates the right level or not, it doesn't drop drasticly. Also it is very easy to remove. If you grab it right at the base (like I did when I gave it to you Michelle) it pulls out easily. The thing that I watch for is it spreading. I keep it contained to one area.

Just my obsevations

Pro_builder

I have some in my main tank. I like it so far but guess I better keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads up