halide recommendations?

tttat2

I'm looking to get new lights soon and was wondering if anyone have suggestions, brand, numbers ect.. 92 gallons with soft corals to be set up soon. Thing of getting a cheap 24'' odyssey 250w halide, but a little afraid of the quality.

Techno-Vicki

I have had the odyssey 150. They are not high on the quality, but they are cheep. You might check ebay for a used one; however, if you are going softies, you might consider T5's. If you really want the best, go LED. They are amazing - but costly. Metal Halides are ok but produce a lot of heat. You will probably have to consider a chiller with it. Good luck.

DrHank

If you want quality cheap and don't mind wiring it yourself, you could pick up a reflector with mogul socket and a Hamilton 14K 250w MH from DIYReef and then get a M58 ballast from E-bay and set up your own for about $150 total.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
What are the dimensions of the tank ? Is it going to be softies exclusively ?
I like the T5's but sometimes the dimensions of the tank can limit the amount of bulbs you can place over the tank. If it's going to be softies exclusively then 4-6 bulbs will be enough but with Tridacnads and some of the more light demanding SPS it won't be enough IMHO.

DrHank

I've used them all. VHOs, PCs, HO T5s, and MHs. For softies, they all work. I personally prefer MH. Yes, they do build up heat but that's what $10 fans are for.

prow

dont buy a cheap fixture. go with a DIY setup like doc suggested or spend the money on a good fixture.

i agree with cheeks, T5's are nice and can work for whatever but they are limited to the dimensions of the tank on how many you can fit. softies though no worries whatever the dimensions you will be able to put enough in.

my 2cents worth is for money savings go with PC's, there are some good quality fixtures and DIY's that are pretty inexpensive. if want to upgrade to something else T5's, MH's spend the money on something that is of good quality, otherwise you will end up spending more than double the money in a year or less when you have to replace the burnt out cheap stuff later anyways.

lcstorc

T5 gets my vote. I have all 3 on different tanks and I hate the PCs and the MH are just so hot. The t5s I recently got are gorgeous and a good middle ground.

mps9506

Is your 92 gallon a corner unit?
Only reason I ask is because a T5 unit will be difficu,lt to fit over it, since you are limited to such a small fixture over those tank I would recomend a single Halide, it would end up looking nicer I think.
Some corner units have more of an open top, while others have a bunch of plastic on top of them. I would recomend two if possible, but I know on some models it isn't.

I would reccomend the DIY approach. You can get a spider reflector for around 30 buck, the socket for about 4 and the bulb I would reccomend Coralvue. I can get those for about 50 bucks. the ballast I would use is the icecap.

tttat2

Sorry, kinda forgot about the forum. My tank was a 92 corner, till I notice a leak. Long story short, almost all my livestock are gone after they crash in a separate tank. At least the 2 brains, some zoos and a blasto made it and they're in my shop tank. Looks like I'm starting over with a 90 gallon 48'' length tank and t5 glo I saw at a lfs will probally be my choice for lights;when I get that going in a couple days.

tttat2

Sorry, kinda forgot about the forum. My tank was a 92 corner, till I notice a leak. Long story short, almost all my livestock are gone after they crash in a separate tank. At least the 2 brains, some zoos and a blasto made it and they're in my shop tank. Looks like I'm starting over with a 90 gallon 48'' length tank and T glo I saw at a lfs will probably be my choice for lights;when I get that going in a couple days.