Hairy Mushroom Question

urchinsmurchin

Hi guys,

I am new here and full of questions. My first question concerns a hairy mushroom I bought a months or so ago. It was doing beautifully untill I went on vacation for 2 weeks and the person who was reef sitting for me didn't realize a snail or some other critter in the tank had knocked the rock the mushroom was over landing the mushroom on his head. I have no clue how long he was on his head to be honest I was home for 2 days before I even realized he was missing. Needless to say he was rescued and is not completely melted away. I am curious if you guys think he will survive or is he a goner? Is there anything I can do to possibly help him get back to normal? I am including a pic but alas I have to apologize that it is a poor pic cause I could not get my camera to focus correctly. I will try to get a better one :)

mini-IMG_0904.jpg

tatuvaaj

In general mushroom corals are pretty impossible to kill(*) so it should be fine if the conditions are good.

(*) I should know, I have been trying to get rid of them 10 years. Well actually, I gave up years ago :banghead:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. It could do one of many things:

1) have a FULL recovery
2) Continue to decline and vanish
3) Go into "Species Survival Mode" and split/make babies
4) Wilt away and come back with a vengence later on.

I had a shipment of "Nuclear Green" hairy mushrooms that our courier forgot in his vehicle. By the time I got them they were completely melted and smelled like... well you know what! I took a gamble and fished the smelly stringy residue from the container and simply dropped it into my 12g tank here in my office. Immediately the crabs and shrimp jumped on the mess and it looked like it was gone in minutes.

Fast forward 6 months . . .

One day while looking in the tank I noticed a few "green dics" on a rock. After closer inspection I realized it was 4 or so baby "Nuclear Green Hairy Mushrooms". I don't know how but somehow some babies came from the disaster. The irony is I only started with a couple :)

Just let it be and hope for the best. The BEST thing you can do it make sure you're giving the tank the very BEST water quality possible.

Good luck and Happy Reefing :)

ReefLady

Staff member
Can't disagree with anything posted above. In the past, I've tired to deter the growth of mushrooms - without success. I'd say just wait it out.

urchinsmurchin

Thanks for the responses guys. I think it is recovering!!!. It is smaller than when I got it but it seems to be puffing back up and looking much better than it did when I first discoverd it on its head. I will have to be more careful in the future when I invetory the tank for MIA corals. lol