Hair algae going mad or i am!!!

well if you blackout the tank, you take away one food source. If you run aggressive GFO and carbon during that same time period you "have" to make a dent because you're stripping another source although you're competing with the GHA for it. This all assumes that there isn't a constant source of phates in the tank from somewhere. I guess that's the smoking gun.

I hate GHA. Try taking a rock that is pretty covered out....and put it in a bucket of new water and heat/circulation and see if the HA dies off. I would be worried that your rocks are supplying the food and if that's the case you need to ditch them.
Thats also what i am afraid of too. I am taking rock out today(most of it) Going to scrub them and set them in another tank blackout and run carbon and gfo along with a powerhead for a few days and then see what they look like.

Rock is out scrubbed and simmering in holding tank. Alot of dirt in them. Just a few of the real big boys i had to leave. Tomorrow ill toothbrush them and clean off all HA in the tank.

image_zps7673e435.jpg

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'll throw this out there but i'll state that i don't know if it means anything but it was an observation I had. In my 29g tank I had a very similar situation.......going good then bam, HA out of control. 80% water changes couldn't do anything.

What was weird was that my sand was really clean......very similiar to the look of your sand. I wondered if the sandbed was working against me......trapping stuff and then just feeding the tank.

Just a thought - go BB

I'll throw this out there but i'll state that i don't know if it means anything but it was an observation I had. In my 29g tank I had a very similar situation.......going good then bam, HA out of control. 80% water changes couldn't do anything.

What was weird was that my sand was really clean......very similiar to the look of your sand. I wondered if the sandbed was working against me......trapping stuff and then just feeding the tank.

Just a thought - go BB
I have always wondered about that. If you mix up the sand bed it is filthy dirty, but the very surface is really nice. So many different opions on that i had BB and switch last year after i had my dino attack.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Funny you say that because my tank was fine.....then I moved and ditched my old sand and got new stuff and to me it never seemed like it got time to "set up" and it was dirty if you mixed it. Its almost like the sand bed is not holding anything. They say you should be less than an inch or more than 3.....the middle zone is dangerous.

maybe take it out and add back a small layer and then over time continue to add more?

I think we might be on to something.

Today is day 3 of re-do. Yesterday i scrubbed inside of tank and overflows to rid all HA in there. Rock is still simmering in holding tank. Today i am going to add more sand to the DT to bring my bed up to 5" from 3" I think 3" was to low for a 125 tank. I hope. Maybe thats why the sand is so very dirty. Ill also clean up sump/fuge change nitrate remover and phosban in reactors. How long should i keep rock out of tank before putting them back in?(less rock this time)

AJ REEF

Tagging along. Thanks for taking the time to document this.

BTW which product do you use for supplementing magnesium?

AJ REEF

For the elimination of HA. My best results were with the use of Kent Tech M. I have no ideas why I get much better results with that product, but I do.

If your problem persists, you may want to give it a try , to see if it will work for you.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Tech M has "other additives" in it that has been shown to help in bryopsis battles. Not sure how it works on regular GHA but it may. Must be Tech M though

rocks looking good in holding tank. With this storm coming to long island, it would make a perfect time to put the rock back in DT. Has it been saoking for long enough and is it safe now to re-stack it in DT?
Some of my frags arent to happy (Below are pics) but i have been testing tank since cleanout and sand top off and they are really looking good. PH has been alittle low from what i keep it 8.2 but i have been dosing everyday to try to get it stable again.
image_zps2c51d7fb.jpg

image_zps89801433.jpg

image_zps0da59758.jpg

progress is going good. I put back in about 90% of the rock back in the tank. I am leaving out about 20lbs from what i had originally to leave more open space for flow. Relocated powerheads and coral has started to perk up. Levels all look good but the ph, Its seems to be bouncing around alittle but i am try to balance it out. jumping from 8.0 to 8.3
image_zps1514c523.jpg

Hopefully it helped! Looks really good now.

Yes it really is looking pretty good. I am only planning on a few more pc of rock on the one side and thats it. I like the way it looks like this better then before. What do you think about the PH bouncing all over? 8.0 to 8.3 Not a big deal right?