Guwahati's first RSM 250 Reef Setup

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Algae pretty normal new tank... your cuc & good maintenance should solve it over the next few months once in the tank & cycle complete & cuc added.

Have you been doing any water changes yet in your curing tank? If not, I think I would...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hello again! I don't see that much green algae to worry about, but you could pull those rocks that have some green algae and remove as much as possible in a bucket of saltwater with a toothbrush. It sounds like your rock will finish curing soon! :)

The corals may be fine in the empty 250 as long as you give them light.

orieng

Thanks guys for the tips and advise. I found the link particularly useful. I am having a problem with the heat in my tank. My tank lights were off for the last two days but I had my pumps on. The tank temperature is showing as 25 degree centigrade even without the heater on. My room temperature is around 18-22 degree centigrade and this is winter for us. I wonder what is causing the tank to heat up. Any solutions to this heat problem?? My corals are still not delivered as the trains are all delayed due to fog. Should be with me early tomorrow morning.

Another problem I am facing is measuring the salinity of my saltwater. My red Sea hydrometer gives me readings which fluctuates all the time. I had also got myself a refractormter but it results vary with the hydrometer by as much as 10 points. I am so confused. the more I read about reef keeping more confusing it becomes. Will keep you posted about the developments. Good Night

orieng

Hi everybody, I am back with some more news. My rocks are still curing and water parameters are as follows. Ammonia: gone, Nitrites and Nitrates are at the maximum of the seachem test kit scale. Shall I do a 100 % water change soon? Please advise guys. thanks

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good to see ammonia gone! Maybe a 50-75% water change? If you take all of the water out it may expose the rock to air for too long.

steved13

PREMIUM
+1 50% WC

Your salintiy should not swing that much with a refractometer. Check the instrument to make sure it's holding it's calibration. It may be defective. Also make sure your water level is the same each time you check it, evaporation will cause your salinity to rise, and when you top off with fresh water it will drop. I spent a little more for a digital refractometer which I think was worth every penny. $110 - Milwaukee MA887 Digital Salinity Refractometer, Free S&H!

orieng

Hi, thanks for the tips again. I just did a 90% water change in my curing tank and cleaned out the gunk and detritus as well as the tank sides. Will test the water tomorrow to check for the ammonia,nitrite and nitrates. Meanwhile my corals and frags had arrived which I have kept in my RSM. I am having a microbubble issue in my RSM 250. The bubbles are created in the skimmer and gets sucked into my tank by the number 1 pump. Any suggestions on overcoming this new problem? My corals had come stuck to some live rock and is now releasing some slimy stuff . I have netted out a lot and also did a partial water change to avoid toxicity. please give me some tips to care for the corals till my rock is fully cured. thanks again

orieng

Hello again, checked my live rock curing tank this morning. Ammonia is gone and nitrites and nitrates dropping too. I must be coming to the end of the cycle. Putting up a couple of pics of my frags and corals waiting at my main tank for the rocks to cure. Thanks
IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

tnwillia

Great additions waiting for the tank!

Here is where I went for salinity, Very accurate and no guess work, also, I can read the results with my tired old eyes. I've been using it for 2 years now, I clean the head 3 times a year and calibrate it once a year. Great tool! Have fun!

American Marine Pinpoint Salinity Monitor

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sounds like the rock is just about cycled - good news. You have some nice looking corals ready too!

orieng

Great additions waiting for the tank!

Here is where I went for salinity, Very accurate and no guess work, also, I can read the results with my tired old eyes. I've been using it for 2 years now, I clean the head 3 times a year and calibrate it once a year. Great tool! Have fun!

American Marine Pinpoint Salinity Monitor

Thanks Tom for the link. As I live in india and that too a very remote part of the country things are not easy for me to source. All the gadgets that I see on the american websites are not accesible to us due to various reasons and sometimes the landed price becomes very high due to customs duty and shipping. I calibrated my handheld refractometer yesterday with distilled water and my salinity is now 1.025.I will love to have all those modern gadgets for my tank and the number one on my priority list is a Vortech MP40W pump. Just searching for a friend who will carry one for me from America at the moment now. Thanks

orieng

Sounds like the rock is just about cycled - good news. You have some nice looking corals ready too!

@ reefmack. Yes my tank seems to be nearing the end of teh cycle. I will tranfer the rocks once the nitrates become zero and than maybe I will have a second small cycle.What do you say? Detected a hint of ammonia in my coral tank and put it some seachem Amguard to control it. will also have to test this regularly now to take care of the corals till my L R goes in.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
It's possible that you might have a mini-cycle when you move the rocks. Be sure not to let the rock dry out when you move it, and that should help decrease the chances of any die-off and new cycle.

orieng

Once the nitrites & ammonia are zero, you should be good to go... you can get the nitrates down by water changes
Hi Nano, I am also thinking on those lines. Can't wait for my cycle to finish soon enough. . Meanwhile I am trying to arrange some corals and frags for my tank. I have a 50 kilos of L R with my but will use only about 30 Kilos. The rest I will use for my QT of If I can get a sump/fuge will be put there. Will keep you all posted though

pocketreef

Namaste,

I'm so curious about the animals you'll get... You have very nice surrounding reefs, like the ones in gulf of Mannar.

orieng

Namaste,

I'm so curious about the animals you'll get... You have very nice surrounding reefs, like the ones in gulf of Mannar.

Namaste Pocketreef, thank you for the Indian greeting. The place I live i.e guwahati is located in the north east part of India , very land locked and thousands of kilometres from the sea. i have been never to the " Gulf of mannar". I hear the reefs there are in a pretty bad shape and the government has banned all sorts of activity there. You can check out this link "http://www.reefindia.org/gulfofman.htm" . In fact it is very hard to get corals and L R here and reefers have to get their supplies from frags imported by the die hard enthusiats. Dhanyabad