Greetings Reef Keepers

richbaker38

After 25 years of keeping Cichlids, I have made the decision to make the dive into saltwater, no pun intended. I have begun a systematic approach to begin the foundation for what I hope to be a lifelong endeavor to create a coral reef. My plan over the next year is to acquire the equipment needed to build a successful reef aquarium. I have not made any decision regarding coral as I am still researching equirement to keep the various coral. With that in mind I want to plan a system which is flexible and will support future coral decisions. I am still researching fish as well; I know the first fish I want to keep are clown fish of course, with my ultimate fish being a powder blue tang. I remember admiring them over the years of trips to my local fish store. Beyond the recommended reef keeper such as shrimp, and snails I am open to suggestions and advise.

So here’s where I am; working on a Craig’s list deal for 110 gallon long tank, I have 55 gallon long which I am planning to convert to sump refugium. The display tank will be drilled with 1500 GPH overflow box with two 1.5 bulkheads and a 600 GPH adjustable return pump. In the last week I purchased The Reef Aquarium Science Art and Technology, by J. Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung, which seems to be very comprehensive text book type manual. It goes a little deeper into water chemistry than I am ready for at this point however; it should provide a good reference as I progress in the hobby. I have almost memorized the New Marine Aquarium by Michael s. Paletta, which was my first step toward learning more about new marine technology. Additional reading material recommendations are appreciated.

Current research:

Lighting, considering EcoTech LED, I want to stay away from heavy heat and power loads of traditional lighting systems.

Skimmer considering Reef Octopus 6 and the Coralife 25”, I think I am leaning more toward the Reef Octopus for a few more dollars.

Dry rock verse living rock, I have time so I am considering seeding dry rock and allowing BIO to establish over several months.

RODI unit will probably be the first retail purchase. Bulkreef supply seems to be the best value I have found. I have well water that is extremely hard 120 to 250 ppm based on recent water analysis. This was never a concern for my Cichlids as they can survive in swamp water as long as it does not change rapidly. The analysis is based on an annual test of well water using a screening kit by silver lake research. The kit is designed to test drinking water which I felt would be good reference point. The results were consistent with past years, 0.0 copper, 0.0 Iron, 0.0 chlorine, 0 nitrite, negative bacteria/ lead and pesticide and conflicting results on Nitrate (5.0) and PH of (8.0). My test kit from Aquarium Pharmaceutical has consistently measured a PH of 7.0. and 0.5 Nitrate.

Based on research it seems an RODI is must for the successful reef. I am still uncertain of the specific configuration. I have not found a reason for carbon as I do not have chlorine in the water. I am thinking of replacing carbon with addition filtration. Bulkreef supply will provide custom configuration based on my needs. Are they a good resource for such needs?

Thoughts and comments are appreciated. I live in remote area of Pa., and recently made a visit to closest reef supplier in my area. I was not impressed. Much of what I have learned over the years keeping Cichlids came from hanging out at my local fish store and chatting with fellow enthusiasts. The fish only store I supported for over 20 years in Baltimore recently announced they are going out business. This will certainly be a challenge once I am ready to purchase fish and coral. Can anyone make a recommendation for suppliers in the South Central area of Pa., or Baltimore? I will even consider venturing into the DC area if needed.

Best Regards,
Rich

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Welcome aboard and I'm glad to see you are doing your homework. BRS is a good company to deal with and it's nice to see that you know you need a RO/DI unit right off the bat. There are a lot of great people here and we will all work to give you the best advise to make you successful in reef keeping.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us, we love pics :dance:

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ur well on track my man. Good stuff ur thinking. As for rock if u buy dry u can get better rock for less. Let's face it rock ur gonna see for years.

Lighting. Oh boy. Its a tuffy. I use leds n can't say id do it again honestly. There's just spectrums of light that leds can't cover. I believe a mix of lights is best. Dansreef has a cool light idea. Mixing t5 and leds.

Just remember to get a good return pump its gonna turn over ur tank water often n get the poo out. Glad to have u. Matt

..........reefing. not for the faint of heart.

Welcome to RS!! Hope you like it here. :yup: good luck with your tank... post pictures!! we love seeing projects and how they turn out.

HotelSoap

Welcome aboard! I just joined today as well its a very nice active community here which is great to see.....good luck with your set up

richbaker38

Matt,

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. I think you are right on target with your lighting recommendation. I do believe LED’s are the wave of the future, I just do not think we are there yet. I have seen more negative post on LED lighting then positive. I also believe folks find something that works and are not quick to make changes, look how long the under-the–gravel filter lasted.

I am thinking of a DIY combination that will allow me to easy change and expand as the need of my system increase. I am planning custom cabinetry with lot of room for lighting changes and modifications. I know lighting options are going to continue to change over the years, so I want plenty of room to incorporate the changes without major changes to my cabinet.

I am with you on the pump and filtration, this is one area where my fresh water experience will be an assets. Keeping large chiclids over the years has provided valuable insight into water circulation. Thanks again, I will keep you posted as the project progresses.

BTW congratulations on the 220, I can’t wait to see some pictures.

Best Regards,
Rich