Green mandarin - Synchiropus splendidus

Luukosian

Well yeah I figured it was a microscope....I meant are you hatching these out in a dish or what, you'd think they would be hard to capture safely.

tektite

Oh, sorry...no, right now they're in a small 1 gallon tank. I just wait for one to stop swimming and suck it up very slowly into a pipette.

surfzone

What are you feeding them? When i was working with the spotted mandarin i used a small rotifer, and an assortment of wild collected plankton that i collected from the near creeks and Ocean. I don't know if you have read these two threads but one is my Matt Wittenrich and the other is my personal thread

Marine Ornamental Fish & Invert Breeders Association • View topic - Spotted Mandarins

Marine Ornamental Fish & Invert Breeders Association • View topic - BC2008 - Mandarin - Witt - I'm in the game!

tektite

I actually haven't tried raising them yet. Been crazy busy with work. I'll try again when I can get my larval breeding station up and running. I have s type rotifers I'll try feeding them, I'm also going to get a few kinds of copepod cultures to feed them as well. The parents are still very fat and healthy, breeding regularly.

surfzone

that's good i was told that the better verity of foods that you feed the better chance you are to have higher survival rates and reach metta sooner.

Darkwrym

I'm gonna tag along with this one. I've had a happy male for about 2 months eating frozen foods just waiting for my LFS to get a nice female in. Those are really cool pics!

Roots

Awesome thread and very cool pics! I'll be following this closely. I am planning on getting a pair of Mandarins in the future and want to start learning about breeding and rearing the babies.

biss

hey guys, just got another tank up and running, in between my main tank and sump. 30 gallon. i hope you keep posting your info, thinking of breeding something, mybe mandrins, already have one in my main tank,i have plenty of pods in my system,good luck guys,

intricateart

I envy your camera. My mandarins breed all the time but only release about once a week. I don't have a clue how to capture the eggs though.

tektite

In preparation for redoing my aquarium I found them a new home. Didn't want them to go through a podless period with the new tank, even though they ate prepared food.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
In preparation for redoing my aquarium I found them a new home. Didn't want them to go through a podless period with the new tank, even though they ate prepared food.
Good to see an UPDATE as this is an AMAZING THREAD! Sorry you had to part with your BEAUTIFUL MANDARINS.
My RSM 250 tank is near 10 months old (has a very good population of pods) and I'm adding a LifeReef sump/refugium this week or next. The Mandarin fish is my "dream fish"...starting a white worm culture & preparing hopefully :fingerx: a good home for a pair someday soon.
Thanks for your initial post here...L:heart:VE those pictures!!

tektite

It was so hard to find them a new home! I was really attached to them, but wanted the best for them. I'm on the lookout for a new pair, taking my time though and looking for exceptional males/females.

lbiminiblue

Beautiful fish you have. My ultimate goal is to get one of those, or two. I'd hope that my 120 would be enough to support them with pods, and a little training for frozen food eating.

Akshay

I was wanting to get a female for my male... but am kind of hesitant.
The last time I tried this a few years ago they fought like crazy.
What do you look for when you want to have a mandarin couple pairing off?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I was wanting to get a female for my male... but am kind of hesitant.
The last time I tried this a few years ago they fought like crazy.
What do you look for when you want to have a mandarin couple pairing off?

I'd also like to have a pair but fear they might kill each other. Maybe adding them both at the same time would help? I notice at Blue Zoo (I like the fish & service from there) they have male & female with sizes listed separately. I thought about calling them and asking for best options.
I did get my DSB refugium added so I'm going to wait until I start seeing a pod population in it.
It is scary to add any fish or coral to my tank when they are listed as "Difficult" :bouncebox