green coralline question

untilthen

so my last thread i said i am having an algae problem but this stuff is not soft by any means and the only way to get it off is by using a credit card... so i have come to the conclusion that its a type of coralline... but i read that eventually it will b overtake by a more permanent coralline... is that tru? should i let it grow and go away on its own? or just keep scraping... my tank is 2 and 1/2 weeks old

pc lighting 1-SmartPaq 10,000K/460nm thats a month old

30 g powerhead

feed every other day

normal parameters

if ya need pics i got em

Varga

coraline usually shows up after a couple of months. whatever you got growing will eventually be overtaken y Coraline. i usually dont scrape anything other than the front glass

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
Use a scrub pad if it will work. Rub from bottom to top, and when you get to the top remove the pad and rinse clean, then repeat. Scraping the algae back into the tank jusyt keeps the process going. The algae if scraped off will just break down into nutrients that just feed new algae growth.

tippMANn98

Thats the nasty hard spotted algae, I know what you are referring to...I always have a little bit of it.....No big deal, nothing a razor blade can't handle, if I use an algae pad on it, I ruin the pad after 4 or 5 uses.

cuttie100

a pad wont work on that algae...you need a razor blade or if you have acrylic im not sure but that stuff is pretty strong. I believe it is very related to coralline algae, it grows together with the coralline on my back glass.

fatman

Glass or acrylic cleaned on a regualar basis with a scrub pad should never need a razor blade to be used on it. When coaraline first starts forming on glass it can be rubbed off with a finger, so it obviously could be removed by a scrub pad if done regularly. Consider it preventive maintenance rather than waiting until it becomes large, thick and hard when it is then remedial action to remove it.

Preventative maintenance is a sign of good reef tank care, where as remedial action is a sign of the lack of good reef tank care. Coraline algae growth is predictable on all areas inside the tank, so measures should be taken to prevent it becoming a problem rather than allowing it to become a problem before dealing with it.

tippMANn98

sorry, coralline that is beginning to grow on my glass after a week- DOES NOT come off with my finger and it is not predictable, it grows in different spots all the time. I use a razor blade for it AND this harder, spotty type of algae, always have. AND I maintain my tank properly, so that sounds a little more matter of opinion to me.

fatman

sorry, coralline that is beginning to grow on my glass after a week- DOES NOT come off with my finger and it is not predictable, it grows in different spots all the time. I use a razor blade for it AND this harder, spotty type of algae, always have. AND I maintain my tank properly, so that sounds a little more matter of opinion to me.

I would not know what coraline algae is like after a week. I clean my entire front glass daily and let coraline grow as it wishs on the side and back glass.

Takes about thirty seconds or less to wipe the glass daily. I never need to scrape the glass. How long do you spend scraping algae off your glass because you only clean it weekly.

cuttie100

I dont have the time to clean my tank every day because I do have a job....I do it maybe 3 times a week. I clean the back glass every time I do a water change which is once every 2 weeks. By that time the algae gets thick enough and a razor is needed to remove it. I never get that on the front or the side glass. I personally dont like the coralline filled background. Looks alittle to messy/unclean my opinion.

tippMANn98

I clean my glass once a week, and its the front and sides, it only takes me about 10 minutes, so dont preach that I/we dont take care of our tanks, have you seen my tank? I think its WELL taken care of, Im not new to this, so I hope that wasnt the assumption.....There is no set day range or WHEN you should clean your tank, some dont clean for weeks, and it does just fine, If I leave it past a week, my cleanup crew has it SPARKLING mid way through the second week.

As with cuttie100, I also have a job, and a wife, and life to take care of, I need to cook, clean, and do laundry like the rest of america.

cuttie100

Totally understandable. Some people have all the time in the world to spectate and service his/her tank. Some only do it when they have time or some do it sometime within the week. My method is pretty much like yungreeder, when it needs to be done its done. However using a razor blade I find it easier and faster than scrubbing.

tippMANn98

Yup, I set mine for the same day every week, usually on thursday. And my coralline is fully formed purple by the end of that week.

fatman

The definition of maintain is to keep in an existing state. Remedial action is to remedy. Remedy is to correct or counteract. Just as in frequent partial water changes are maintenance and infrequent water changes are remedial action, to put off cleaning glass until it must be scraped necessitates remedial action, and that should not be confused with maintenance.

I have no idea how any one maintains his or her tank(s) I am only stating the obvious about maintaining clean glass.

As for time spent. I have found over the period of time I have kept marine tanks (over 35 years) that accrued maintenance time is always shorter than remedial time, and the efforts are less and benefits greater.

tippMANn98

If you want, I will debate this......It takes less time for me once a week to clean my glass than it does you doing it everyday. think about it....2-3 minutes each day=say 14-21 minutes, it only takes me 10 minutes weekly (if you want to, add water change time +10 min.) thats a total of 20 minutes to maintain my tank weekly.

I also feel that you have the improper definitions being used for our hobby. To maintain, in the hobby, means to support or sustain- Time is needed to maintain a reef tank. And remedial, or to Remedy, in this hobby, is to restore to the natural or proper condition; to put right. The way you used the word is to Remove something bad, yes we are talking about algae, BUT we are also talking about Maintenance.
Therefore-
During the week a little spotty algae and pink coralline growth will grow, to properly maintain my tank, I take a razor blade to the glass as the growth will come off with ease.

lcstorc

IMO it all comes down to what you prefer. Obviously the algae is going to come off more easily if it does not have a chance to harden. I also understand that most of us don't have or take the time to do it. I clean my glass every 2-3 days and the only major corraline problem I have is under the sand and in the corners. I really wish I could find a way to get that but it just takes too long to do frequently so I usually do that one with water changes. I guess I am somewhere in between but IMO neither way is right or wrong. We each have our own ways.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I clean two sides of my glass daily and the other two once a week. The reason I do it like this is for many reasons.
We all care for our tanks differently and to say someone is slacking on there upkeep because they don't clean the glass daily is ridiculous.
Actually, if you are putting your hands in the water daily you are interfering with the filtration process. Especially if your using a skimmer. Every time you put your hand in the water you break the surface tension causing the skimmer foam head to break. Some skimmers can take up to 2 days to balance out again.
I keep my viewing glass clean daily with a mag float. this keeps my hands out of the water. once a week I will clean the other two sides using a pad like Fatman stated and a blunt stainless steel blade made for the purpose.
I found that letting the algae grow on the glass I do not view through has also provided a food source for my 4 tangs.
There is nothing to debate here. Everyone has their way. What matters is water quality.