Great Barrier Reef’s condition declined from moderate to poor in 2011

ReefLady

Staff member
An alarming set of reports on the condition of the Great Barrier Reef published recently say its overall condition in 2011 declined from moderate to poor, and highlights that reef-wide coral cover has declined by 50% since 1985, according to the UK’s Guardian newspaper. Read More

c

kyle4201

That is terrible! one thing I've always wanted to do before I die was dive that, & the bimmini trail. I hope when I get old & have enough retirement money it will still b there .

GlassMunky

I was there in December and can say first hand that its NOT good....... GIANT dead patches all over the place.
Our boat driver tried telling us that this was "normal wear and tear"......... they dont want the tourists knowing whats going on.
Its really sad.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
My uncle has done several dives there. He said that during his most recent dive he thought that his mask was leaking. But then he realized that he was crying. :tears:

Mike Johnson

Also, not mentioned in the article is the plague proportions of the Crown of Thorns Starfish. I'm glad they mentioned storm damage.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
I thought I heard there was a breakthrough with stopping the crown of thorns. Read somewhere that they have managed to create a bacteria that attacks the crown of thorns by feeding on it, and this spawns more bacteria to nearby crown of thorns also.

It's a lot of "playing god" with nature and I'm sure it's debatable if it only attacks crown of thorns. But something has to be done.

What's happening to all reefs is terrible, millions of years of evolution and somehow for reasons not entirely known its demise is something that is on all our shoulders to make sure that our hobby aids its recovery and doesn't increase it's decline.

Our understanding of corals has come on leaps and bounds over the last few decades, this info must filter back to scientific body's to help them put pressure on what's causing the problems so they stand a chance.

Passion made me write, don't take it as a rant... I'm sure everyone feels the same anyway.

Alan

mathewbristow

Well said Mrsalt I totally agree. It's so sad what's happening to reefs around the world and I think we can all help out in buying aquacultured corals and fish to prolong our precious reefs :)

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
This is why new people must be brought into coral keeping, so more species can be preserved.