Gravity's RSM250

Gravity

Here's some shots of my RSM250. I set it up a few months ago using stock from another tank that I was running down, so it's a bit light at the moment. The Gobi shrimp is quite interesting. He digs and cleans the burrow all day long whilst the Gobi stands guard. They retire at night and he digs the door closed. Quite a few hours spent watching that. When I set the RSM up I purposely set up an extra thick sand bed in the front cove, and sprinkled some small rock splinters near by. Sure enough, when I transferred them, he immediately dug the burrow exactly where I wanted it. You can see him shovelling a big handfull of sand in the last pic.

Attachments

• ReefSanctuary_published_001.JPG
    ReefSanctuary_published_001.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 52
  • ReefSanctuary_low_res_040.JPG
    ReefSanctuary_low_res_040.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 52
  • ReefSanctuary_published_002.JPG
    ReefSanctuary_published_002.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 52
  • ReefSanctuary_low_res_013.JPG
    ReefSanctuary_low_res_013.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 52
  • ReefSanctuary_low_res_004.JPG
    ReefSanctuary_low_res_004.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 52

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Georgous tank ! Lovely fish & corals !!!
1085.gif

Thanks for starting a tank thread & sharing !

Gravity

Here's a couple more of the Gobi Shrimp. You can just see the sand flying up behind him as he's digging another trench into the burrow. The Gobi stands guard most of the day and bats him down the hole if something gets too near.

Attachments

• ReefSanctuary_low_res_024.JPG
    ReefSanctuary_low_res_024.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 48
  • ReefSanctuary_low_res_009.JPG
    ReefSanctuary_low_res_009.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 48
Nice, everything looks great. I love the Goby and Pistol Shrimp....How much of a mess do they make?? I was thinking about getting a shrimp for my goby, but I am worried the will cause havok with the substrate.

Gravity

Hi NewEnglandReef, yeah the pistol shifts a lot of sand. I set up a very specific cove in the corner of the tanks specifically for the goby pair. I figured that the shrimp wouldn't wander outside of the cove and so far this has proved true. It's just too exposed to move beyond the cove for him. To make sure that he set up home where I wanted it, I made sure that the cove was the only area that sported a deep sand bed (around 3 inches). I also made sure that I placed a big flat rock at the base of the cove so that he could easily burrow beneath. I then placed rubble nearby. I introduced him directly to the cove and ...... he just went straight for it. Burrowed exactly where I wanted him and had scooped up all the rubble within an hour. He makes piles of sand of about 3inches above the normal substarte level. He moves these around daily as well. But it's all kept within the cove. So long as I don't place anything on the sand in the cove, it's ok. So you do have to leave a bit of bare space on the sand but I think it's worth it.

Gravity

Hi garefferman, yup they're camel backs. These are one of the few new purchases for this tank. I've not been a fan before but now I don't know why - theyr'e really nice shrimp. You can see them in a sort of crevice in the live rock in the pic. They pretty much set up home here. I have a purple lobster that comes through the crack and scares them every now and then. So I get regular shows of how fast they can move - amazing.