;( got home and peppermint shrimp died

I just got home and 1 of my peppermint shrimp died the other is still ok and my condi looks like it is dying I test water everything is great what do you think could have happened? My clown and other shrimp are doing fine I am doing a water change right now

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Sorry Noob! the shrimp is anybodys guess, could be old age etc, the anem, what is your concern?

LOL I am losing it :) I just looked though the tank real careful it didn't die it must have shed that was a skeleton he is still in there oh well needed a water change anyway that was just an emergency one LOL!!!

InLimbo87

Common mistake. I had a cleaner shrimp when I first set up my tank that molted in the first couple days... I had also thought it had died. Molting is a good sign that your tank is progressing well. :)

arkanov85

Because crustaceans have an exoskeleton, they can not grow the same way as fish do. They must shed this outer hard shell and grow a new one. This process is called molting. The molt is called ecdysis and is the same as the one experienced by terrestrial insects. When the time comes, usually at night, the shrimp finds a safe, secluded place on the reef and begins its transformation. A little trap door pops open on its back and the animal pulls itself out of its shell. Once free, it is vulnerable for several days until it's new shell hardens. The discarded shell looks like a dead animal, in my opinion, a molting shrimp is a happy, well-fed shrimp.

burning2nd

one outta my 2 kicked the bucket... and became food for the hermits....

do you have hungry hermits....

im sure they will waste no time haveing a healthy snack...

lcstorc

I think almost all of us have made that mistake at one time or another. The exoskeleton really looks like the whole shrimp. Kind of freakey in a way.