Got a bit of an issue.....help please

So, I was just looking in my tank and spotted what appears to be a mantis shrimp......or something that looks very close to one....he's a little over an inch and has a dark redish body, tail like a lobster and arms like a mantis.

I didn't put one in and I don't want it in there.

I'll try to get pics up ASAP but he's fast.

I need some ideas on how to get this thing out without destroying my tank

thanks,
Rob

1Reefer

That would be a mantis alright.... tell tale signs, it has a tail like a lobster and arms like a mantis lol, as far as removing him...try to chase him into a rock that you CAN remove and remove it from the tank. A short freshwater dip and he will come jetting out of his little hidy hole.

magnetar68

I had to deal with two mantis shrimp lately. The first one I tried a freshwater dip with the rock he was hiding in. He did not come out. I then tried the force-him-out-with-a-stick method. It took forever, but I got him.

The second one I noticed a couple of weeks later. I went to the grocery store and bought three large bottles of seltzer water. I put the rock in a 5 gallon bucket and poured the seltzer water onto the rock. By the second bottle he was out and dead along with several other hitchhiking crabs. This second method was quick and easy. I do not know the degree to which this killed "good" stuff on the rock, but my tank was fine: no spikes of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate afterward.

Well, The rock that I believe he is living in is an easy rock to get out. I'm just wondering if my rock anemone is going to die in a freshwater soak....

Also, with a freshwater soak will that kill everything on my live rock? Because it's a front deco piece that I believe he's living in and there's a good bit of coraline on it.

Thanks for the info so far guys, 1reffer I'm going to try to get him out alive... maybe i'll start a 2 gal lol. I'm just hoping to trap him somehow.

Rob

1Reefer

Good to hear digital !!

I don't think you want to soak in FW just dunk the rock and he "should" come scurrying out, however I'm not sure if it would kill the corraline or not.

Hey, if you start a 2 gallon you can just put that rock in there lol.

I think its cool your going to try an catch him alive before you just kill it.... maybe if you isolate that rock in a critter keeper or something till you figure out a game plan he won't escape to a bigger rock lol

Yea, thats always true, I just hope he doesn't make my center rock his home because I now have atleast 6 pieces of coral on there... I hear a bottle trap maybe a good idea, but what the heck type of food can I put in it to attract a tiny mantis?

1Reefer

A live hermit or snail might be best.... I have always used a peice of deli shrimp (yes people shrimp) to catch hitch hiking crabs... they go nuts for the shrimp.

Maybe feed him a peice or two so he knows its food, and then place what you have been feeding him in the trap.... idk just some thoughts

Good luck! And let me know if you want any more of my jibberish ideas lol

IMO I would try to isolate the rock he is in and try the stick method. I have ad to deal with two mantis shrimp and this is by far worked the best for be. The bottle trap will work, but you have to keep an eye on it. They are highly intelligent critters and can find the way back out of the bottle. I would use a piece of raw table shrimp for that.
If you decide to do the stick method, just stick the stick in the hole that you think he is in. Of course take some water out of your tank bc if he does not have water to run out into, he might not run out. I use that method and a turkey baster to flush water into the hole as well to help flush em out. A fresh water dip of the rock would hurt your corals and/or anemone.
I have traded the two mantis shrimp for coral frags from a fellow reefer in my area. I would try my best not to kill it bc someone would like to give it a home.

1Reefer

Thank you for that humane solution Bobby!

I agree, they are very intelligent.... an I also agree that someone will trade for it. I am awaiting arrival of my new mantis friend, he gets here Saturday.... I am getting him from someone just like you, who got him in there rock. His tank isn't fully cycled yet but when it is I'm going to send him some frags for the trade.... and I'm setting up a 10 gallon mini bow just for him!

I have a soft spot for mantis shrimp.... they are incedible creatures

That is exactly what the guy said that I gave mine to! I am just glad there are people that give these creatures a good home that I cannot provide them with. I thought about taking it to the LFS, but decided against it bc I did not want them to feed him to the triggers or what not. lol. But I am glad people like yourself can give them a place to live. One mans pest is another man pet.

Yea, I'm gonna isolate the rock tomorrow....its gonna suck to do the stick method cause theres quite a few holes....but I can't have him in there.
I think he already ate 2 of my blue legs cause I found 2 empty shells.

I'll let you all know how it goes, Thanks for being cool about this. Not many forums have good people and this is a good first impression so far.

Thanks guys

1Reefer

No problem Rob!

Glad I could help..... and I agree, this is a great forum. The people here are awesome, very knowledgable and not rude at all... keep it up RS!

And thank you Bobby!

Got Him!! I ended up just watching my tank all day today to get him out. I took the rock he was in and put it in a bucket of my tank water. He just shot out after a min and I pulled the rock really quick.

mantis.jpg

If anyone wants him let me know (I'm in FL).....otherwise he's going to get traded for a small frag of some sort.

Thanks again guys, big help!

Rob