Glenn's Reef RSM 250

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Been on vacation for a week & just back, I didn't want it hooked up while we were gone (so new), so I just got it going again today - will know & report back in a few weeks :dance:

Hopefully it does great, I'm having some algae issues and I like the idea of having a phosphate/nitrate killer without adding some kind of chemical substance! Hope its all its cracked up to be!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
A couple of pics from the Hog1 algae scrubber I have been trying out, been running about a month, not sure if I should have more or less algae growth - cleaned it for the 1st time today. One thing that I don't have, is it on a timmer, I run it a few days, unplug it for 8 hours & plug it back in, this may not be the idea way to run one & could be effecting results.

138F728F-EED4-4DBA-95FF-7F861E297806-46612-00000501685625A0.jpg

A226AF3D-CBB8-4602-AEC5-5812EA471EC4-46612-000005017CCA78B2.jpg

If you can get a timer, that would be best. I ran mine when the lights went out on my tank. It allows for the phoosynth cycle....but also means you don't have to worry about always plugging and unplugging the unit. Good to see you got some nasty growing in there. Looks just like mine did. I will be setting mine back up soon in the sump this time. How do you like it so far?

Lexinverts

Hello, Glenn. You probably have answered this question previously, but what temperature do you run your RSM250? I have seen that you run the stock lighting without a chiller, so I am curious about what temperature you are able to maintain. Thanks!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
temps here where I live over 100F frequently, we keep our home air at 73F and run the RSM rear cooling fans - my RSM 250 tank temp stays at 81F - my 130D ran a little warmer 83 F

Lexinverts

temps here where I live over 100F frequently, we keep our home air at 73F and run the RSM rear cooling fans - my RSM 250 tank temp stays at 81F - my 130D ran a little warmer 83 F

Wow, 8 F over room temperature... I may need to think about at chiller then, since we don't keep our house that cool.

Obviously, you had good success at 83F in your 130D, though. At least I don't really need to decide until the spring, since things are cooling down here already.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Wow, 8 F over room temperature... I may need to think about at chiller then, since we don't keep our house that cool.

Obviously, you had good success at 83F in your 130D, though. At least I don't really need to decide until the spring, since things are cooling down here already.

I had a bigger problem with the temperature during the winter on my 250. During the summer the air conditioning helps not only by keeping the ambient room temperature cooler but it the air conditioning also reduces the humidity in the air. Electric heat doesn't pull the humidity from the air plus my tank is in the same room as our fireplace. I got a chiller, switched out the pumps for Eheims, and converted the lighting to LED.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

alphasierra

Hi Glenn!!

It's been a long time since I've visited your thread and all I can say is wow!! The tank looks great and the size of some of your corals are amazing!!

It's amazing to see how much the RSM section has grown over the years! Great to see!!

Do you have any new photos of the tank?

Cheers
Andrew

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hey Andrew - thanks for checking in on RS & the RSM club and the nice compliments ! How your Reef in the Sky ? The RSM S series tanks have really taken off :)

alphasierra

Hey Andrew - thanks for checking in on RS & the RSM club and the nice compliments ! How your Reef in the Sky ? The RSM S series tanks have really taken off :)

No problems... yeah I am amazed at all the different RSM tank sizes now. 130, 250, 500 and 650? I saw your post showing the new models and I must say the square corners will be great.

Yeah, A Reef in the Sky is going really well. I'll add some new videos where Big Als posted the previous ones.

Keep up the great work!!

Andrew

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
^yep, it is BEAUTIFUL Glenn...always like seeing an UPdate on your tank :thumbup:
I don't have a Duncan, but your picture makes me want one :D