GHL ProfiLux - Thunderstorm Settings (PLC 5.1.1.3 FW 5.11)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok I thought I'd keep my notes "online" so that I can find them easily and anyone else trying to do something similar can see what route I took.

Below are the "Illumination" settings for the Thunderstorm Scenario. I'm using ProfiLux Control 5x in case it matters.

I'm running a single SimuStick LED array for Lightning, Lightning, Sunrise and Sunset functions/

Illumination #1 is Blue & white LED and you need to "check" the box Thunderstorm on Illumination #1
Illumination #2 is Red LED and you need to "check" the box Thunderstorm on Illumination #2

First of all Illumination #3 is my T5's and I want them to completely power OFF for the duration of the Thunderstorm. I created my first Programmable Logic (PL1) to link my Illumination #3 to the "Event" Thunderstorm.
  • Click Programmable Logic on the right hand menu in the PLC software
  • Double Click on the "Gate" you want to create (Gate is the label for each individual Programmable Logic event) so I'm using Gate1 for this PL
  • In the first box (Input 1) click "change" and in the dropdown pick "Illumination" and in the next box pick #3.
  • In second box (Input 2) click "change" and in the dropdown pick "Thunderstorm" and put a check in "Invert"
  • In the next section "Function" click the dropdown and select "AND"
  • Select OK then "Save" at the very bottom
Here are some screenshots showing what the above menus look like

Programmable Logic "Gate Select"
GHL_Instructions_ProgmLogic_GateSelect.jpg

Programmable Logic "Dropdowns"

GHL_Instructions_ProgmLogic_dropdowns.jpg

Programmable Logic "Dropdowns Complete"
GHL_Instructions_ProgmLogic_dropdowns_complete.jpg

Below is a simplified depiction of what the above actions create (you'd have to have the software open to understand this next part.
G1 ANDl Illumination 3 Thunderstorm(invert)
(If you have other lights you want to have react the same just do this for each Illumination channel but make sure you input the correct #).

Now time to assign the above "Programmable Logic" to the correct "Socket"
go to "Socket Functions" (under the Systems tab) and double click on the socket you need to connect to the PL

In the first input select "Programmable Logic" and then select 1 (or whatever PL# you need to connect to)
Give it a simple label and click OK then SAVE

Below is a simplified depiction of what the above actions create (you'd have to have the software open to understand this next part.
Socket #1 Programmable Logic 1

Here are some screenshots showing what the above menus look like

Socket Functions
GHL_Instructions_Socket_Functions.jpg

Socket Functions "Dropdowns"
GHL_Instructions_Socket_Functions_Dropdowns.jpg

Socket Functions "Dropdowns Complete"
GHL_Instructions_Socket_Functions_Dropdowns_Complete.jpg

Now click on the Thunderstorm tab (nearly at the bottom of the list under Illumination), input the following (This is for a MANUAL Thunderstorm at the moment):

• Intensity (higher number = more intensity or more lightning strikes)
  • Darkening (1-100%) the higher the number the more darkening for DIMMABLE lights
  • Duration how many minutes you want the Thunderstorm to last (1-60 but for testing pick say 2mins)
  • Click "Start" and this should launch the Thunderstorm routine which will turn OFF main lights and slowly ramp up the lightning then back down then turn main lights back ON.

Once you have the MANUAL portion working it's time to work on the "Scheduled" Thunderstorms.
  • Day of week - Put a check mark in each day you DO want to have "scheduled" Thunderstorms (Monday - Sunday)
  • Storms per day - 1 to 4
  • Storm 1-4 Settings > > > Start Time (self explanatory)
  • Duration (1 - 60 minutes)

Once you have the MANUAL & Scheduled storms portion working it's time to work on the "Random" Thunderstorms.
Duration (1 - 60 minutes)
Waiting time min (1-240) maximum (1-240) hours (min time between Random Storms and maximum time between Random Storms)

Thunderstorm Screenshot
GHL_Instructions_Thunderstorm.jpg

Click SAVE and have FUN with your ProfiLux Thunderstorm! Next we'll work on implementing THUNDER into the equation!!

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
thanks :) I went back this morning and added some "Screen Shots" so that hopefully it's easier to follow along and have similar results. Sometimes what makes perfect sense to the person "writing" the instructions doesn't make any sense to the person reading them. Maybe the screenshots will clear up any confusion or doubts.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
That's just awesome. I read paulb thread then this. Man has this hobby changed.

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.

dmatt88

Any thoughts on adding the touch screen?

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Any thoughts on adding the touch screen?

Matt I think the "Touchscreen" would be cool but I have my unit mounted inside of a cabinet out of site/touch. I just control it sitting on the couch with my laptop and hopefully after this weekend I'll control it from anywhere that has internet. I'm going to be setting up the webserver (built into the unit) tonight or tomorrow.

If I weren't doing it remotely I'd go for the touchscreen. I think that's got some major COOL points for sure :)

Sy101

Thanks Allen

I wanted to set up simu spot in my rsm in the same way you have done, I followed your easy to follwing instructions and its up and running perfect

thanks for the post

Simon

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Outstanding Simon. Thank you so much for the positive feedback.

Do you mind posting some pictures of how and where you mounted your Simu-Spot. I may do the same thing.

Sy101

No problem picture to follow although it's still a work in progress!
I installed the spot in centre behind t5's due to small amount of clearance inside the rsm hood i think the spot is to close to the water preventing a nice spread of light (see 2nd pic) I'm now debating adding a 2nd spot again behind t5's but mounting spots about 6" either side of centre to allow a wider spread and hopefully a brighter thunderstorm

I love the smart tidy look of the rsm but now I see what people mean when complaining about trying to carry out mods!

fdab7479.jpg

307c23cf.jpg

Ps when ever I google for help on profilux set up a thread comes up somewhere with your name on. thanks in advance for next time lol

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No problem picture to follow although it's still a work in progress!
I installed the spot in centre behind t5's due to small amount of clearance inside the rsm hood i think the spot is to close to the water preventing a nice spread of light (see 2nd pic) I'm now debating adding a 2nd spot again behind t5's but mounting spots about 6" either side of centre to allow a wider spread and hopefully a brighter thunderstorm l

The MOD looks great. Yes it's "tight" with anything to do with an RSM! Do you yave a simu-l? That might help with the spread because the LED are linear and spread out along a "Tube".

Ps when ever I google for help on profilux set up a thread comes up somewhere with your name on. thanks in advance for next time lol

LOL! That's kind of scary isn't it?

You're very welcome. I'm glad I would help in some small way. I'm also glad to see you happy with your ProfiLux and especially with the "Thunderstorm" simulation.

How does your livestock react to the storms? Mine go into a "night time" type of calm mode but many people worry about it causing stress. I've seen no such action in my tanks with "Lightning". Have you?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No doubt Al is the resident profilux guru. :thumbup:

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

LOL! I'm flattered but honestly I'm still using just the "Basic" functions of the unit. I am looking forward to some of the new units that are out there (those who have them know who I' talking to) to get installed so yall can play with more advanced settings and teach me :) This thing can do so much but I'm only using the basic stuff. It's like buying that sweet new Ferrari and just starting it up to back up and down the driveway. :LOL:

catran

LOL! I'm flattered but honestly I'm still using just the "Basic" functions of the unit. I am looking forward to some of the new units that are out there (those who have them know who I' talking to) to get installed so yall can play with more advanced settings and teach me :) This thing can do so much but I'm only using the basic stuff. It's like buying that sweet new Ferrari and just starting it up to back up and down the driveway. :LOL:

Uh, still waiting for a light. If AI and/or Ecotech will get off the "pot" and take care of business, I can get my new frag tank going and install it!!
Anywho, at least I have instructions with pics now when I get the chance to set it up!

dmatt88

Hey al, this looks like another language. U realize Im gonna b praying you answer your phone to help set this thing up!!!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hey al, this looks like another language. U realize Im gonna b praying you answer your phone to help set this thing up!!!!

:LOL: Matt once you have everything in hand I think it will make a lot more sense. Of course I'll help any way I can.

Hang in there Cat. everything will all probably come together at one time :)

catran

:LOL: Matt once you have everything in hand I think it will make a lot more sense. Of course I'll help any way I can.

Hang in there Cat. everything will all probably come together at one time :)

Yep, that's usually the way it goes! The new AI will come out and be awesome right when Ecotech releases the code. I'll lose my mind then, lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD