GFCI help...please!

icedgxe

Some backround info. About two weeks ago I woke up and noticed my rp was off so I went to the garage and realized the whole sump etc was off. I looked and the gfci was tripped. I thought that was weird so I reset it and everything was fine. I do have a grounding probe also if anyone is wondering. Anyways, I wake up today to the same thing. Except this time when I try to reset the gfci it trips the circuit breaker. So I unplug both the plugs from the outlets so now there was nothing plugged into the gfci. I turn the breaker back on and try to reset the gci but the same thing happens. It tripped the breaker again. The braker there has the gfci in the garge, two plugs on the outside of the house (nothing plugged in) and the doorbell. I believe that is everything on it.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Faulty gfci?

I was planning on going ahead and swapping the gfci out to see if the problem continued or not. What do you guys think?

glampka

If the breaker is tripping when you reset the GFCI I'd swap out the GFCI & make sure it's ok. Might also want to check the ground on the GFCI.

funkpolice

I'm not sure, but I think a gfci tripping means there is a voltage leak somewhere, and a breaker tripping means too many amps are being drawn. If both are tripping, I would suspect a wiring problem.
bill

Jake

I have had a similar situation when I had water intrusion in an outside plug. GFCI you have a small amount of differential current leak, breaker trip you have a circuit current overload or short.