Getting rid of problem fish

kstewart422

So my lady goes and buys about 8 damsels and adds them to the 90gal reef tank. We notice they are picking at some of the corals. I tell her, "they have to go".

I take a water bottle, invert the top and make a simple fish trap out of it. This works great for all but one little &%#*@ fish.

I don't want to have to disturb everything for one fish. What other ways can I remove the trouble maker?

Thanks for your time,

lcstorc

Patience and a fish trap. Sounds like you have created a successful trap so just keep at itl.

DrHank

A size 22 or 24 dry fly hook baited with a piece of krill and tied to some 2lb test fishing line should do the job.

reefsmoker

A size 22 or 24 dry fly hook baited with a piece of krill and tied to some 2lb test fishing line should do the job.

a barb-less hook, will work the best(if you go this route), just snip the barb off w/ a pair of dikes..!!
Good luck...

Billdad1

kstewart422,

I build traps that work very well. With a little paitence you can catch it without tearing up your tank.

Here is a picture with a Radiant Wrasse caught and a Clown Goby wanting in.

Attachments

• Fish Trap11.jpg
    Fish Trap11.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 28

reef dummy

I had to catch two pests of a fish known as skunk clowns. size 30 fly hook, a tiny bb weight and a piece of shrimp duped them both. I feel your agony!

ReefLady

Staff member
I know people who always feed their fish by putting the food in a fish net. Makes life easy when you need to catch a fish. ;-)

burning2nd

I THINK you should just leave it.. one little damsel cant do that much damage... sure its picking and not cleaning?