Fragging Mushrooms

Janka

So I have my mushrooms on an isolated rock and for the past 3 months, I have been fighting every known algae on that rock. So I decided that I am gonan remove the muchroom corals and just remove the rock all together. At the same time, I would like to save the micro brittle stars that are in this tiny rock. Any idea on how to save them?

For the container that I am putting the rubble and the mushrooms in with the mesh over the top, all I have are old butter containers. Is that gonna hurt my system? It has been therough the wash many many times, and I always try to get equipment that hasn't been touched by soap. Any thoughts there?

1Reefer

I use tupperware for variuos aquarium needs, and wash with soap when done.... just make sure you rinse it real well.

Only way I can think of to save the micro brittles is to place the peice of rubble out of water and the micros usually start to move out of the rock, trying to move into moisture somewhere... this has worked for before, to collect micros

I use tupperware for variuos aquarium needs, and wash with soap when done.... just make sure you rinse it real well.

Only way I can think of to save the micro brittles is to place the peice of rubble out of water and the micros usually start to move out of the rock, trying to move into moisture somewhere... this has worked for before, to collect micros

Starfish like every animal, try to do what is best for them. Call it a natural instinct or whatever, but they will eventually try to find moisture so that they can survive. If you put the rock out of moisture as, was said. I am sure they will move down the rock until they don't have anywhere else to go, but in to the water.

Janka

I sat the rock out for about 5min as I was working on the mushrooms. they just kept popping out of the rock, lol. it was unbelievable! I think in the end, I got about 16 micro brittle stars out of it. The rock is only 3"Wx4"Lx2"H. was very surprised.

Snappy

if you do a revive dip they will all jump off. Then just scoop em' out and through back in the tank.