Fragging leather

funkpolice

Here's a pic of my leather.
leather7-8.jpg

It was the first coral I bought, about 8 months ago, and has grown a lot since it's been in my tank. I have a couple of questions.
1.What kind of leather coral is it? I've looked around, and the closest one I see is Sarcophyton. What do you think?
2.Is the coral big enough to frag? It's about 6" across, and has grown approx. 5 new fingers since I got it.
3.How do I go about fragging this coral? Can I just cut off one of the fingers, and glue it to a rock?

Thanks for giving me some time.
bill

panmanmatt

1) looks like a lobophyton to me
2) if you think it's big enough then it probably is. Fragging size varies by person.
3) yup just cut off a finger and attach it to a rock. Glue may work or tie it on loosely with some cotton thread

funkpolice

The reason I thought Sarcophyton is because of the bare stalk, Lobophytum are low and encrusting. The pic is at a weird angle, so it may be hard to see.
I also am unsure of the healing process. Will the parent colony secrete all sorts of nasties into the tank after it's cut? Thanks for the responses.
bill

panmanmatt

My lobophytons all have a raised stalk like your picture.
They don't usually slime up too bad when cut. I cut mine in tank.

funkpolice

Sounds like a plan, I think I'll give it a shot this weekend. Thanks again. I think it'll be almost like pruning a bush.
bill