Frag System Protein Skimmer...?

Noel102284

I am in the process of setting up a frag system. And I would like some suggestions preferably not from someone who works for a company that makes skimmers. I would like to know, is it possible to over-skim?
The system I am setting up should be about 150 gallons. I know I can get one slightly larger than what I need and it will be fine but what does someone with a little more experience with frag systems suggest. 2nd,Which protein skimmer do you suggest? Taking into consideration price, maintenance, and realiability. I am going to make the sump so size is not an issue. Thanks for the feedback.

BLADEYAMAHA

What's your budget? I always loved the Aqua C's but they are getting a bit dated now, not sure what's the best, IMO the Aqua C's are still the best.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Personally I don't think it's possible to overskim. I run about 300 gallons of mainly frags and I skim like crazy emptying my skimmer daily and the coral does great.

Noel102284

Not really to concerned about the budget, just wanted the opinion of someone who has set up a frag/growout system.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
the questions you ask are not very specific, "IF" you were fragging mushrooms,zenia,leathers Id say yes you can overskim a grow out system.
If its mainly sps then other considerations come into play, color and growth are an awkward phase, for what your thinking, you need two separate systems, a grow tank that's fairly nutrient rich and a finishing tank that's very low nutrient to bring out color.
A tank can only produce so much skimmable waste determined by bio load and food added, the more food in the water the more brown in the coral color

Noel102284

So in a "Grow-out System" I would want to "Over" Skim (not anything exaggerated, just more than enough to take care of the extra feeding for growth and the bio load). And in the "Finishing/re-Color" System I would still want to "Over" skim. (But I would not be feeding as much since I would be trying to bring out more color?) Just trying to be clear. I am trying to do as much research as I can before jumping in.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
So in a "Grow-out System" I would want to "Over" Skim (not anything exaggerated, just more than enough to take care of the extra feeding for growth and the bio load). And in the "Finishing/re-Color" System I would still want to "Over" skim. (But I would not be feeding as much since I would be trying to bring out more color?) Just trying to be clear. I am trying to do as much research as I can before jumping in.

pretty much, if you look at zeo systems they are nutrient poor but supplemented in a very specific way

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
zeo vite I think its spelt, a highly complex system of very expensive ingredients and equipment lol

Noel102284

Thanks for the info on the over-skimming. I would still like some suggestions on skimmers. Anyone have a growout tank 150 gallons-ish that could recommend a good skimmer. Ive read that if I dont mind paying a bit, ReefOctopus is the way to go. Any comments, suggestions, ideas, opinions, appreciated.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
All skimmers are using the same basic designs now adays, the main concern to me would be the feed pump the best at the moment are askol and bubbleblaster IMO so that is what I would look for. if you really want to go hard core get a beckett skimmer My Reef Creations MRC-2 these skimmers will keep your system clean but the down side is the cost of the skimmer, they require a large feed pump so the electic is a bit more but for an equal skimmer in an octopus style it's not a huge difference.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
The rule of thumb most of us use is purchasing a skimmer that is rated two times your system volume so if you have 150 gallons get a skimmer rated for 300 gallons, the thing that keeps a lot people from going bigger is the cost.

Noel102284

Thank you. I rather invest a little more in the beggining than having any regrets later. thanks for your input i will look into them.