Foxface Lo

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hi all,
I'm a big fan of natural cures for problems because I don't see Mother Nature dosing anything so "something" has to work.

Problem is bubble algae.

Proposed solution is a foxface Lo.

Cool fish but would love some experience posts. This would be in my sps tank. Trying to catch and relocate my purple tang now.

DaveK

I would not want to depend upon a fish for general control of one species of algae.

Fish are like kids when it comes to eating. Given a choice they will eat the things they like best first. Ice cream and cookies first, then stuff like burgers and fries, then vegetables. So any algae or other food the fish likes better than bubble algae, it will fill up on, and if they are not hungry, they will not touch the unwanted algae.

Best methods are the ones that have been talked about many times before. Control food going in, and waste products, light, and so on. Given time the unwanted algae will go away.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hi Dave,
The issue is I already feed low, the tank is an SPS tank with low/unmeasurable readings and I change 10-15g of water a week religiously. Bubble algae has just creeped up and i'm kinda at a loss as to why. I have 3 emeralds but no dice.

Thoughts on something other than a fish?

sirrealism

PSU4ME I am in the same boat so fallowing along. From what I have been told only female emeralds will eat bubble algae but I have one and It is not touching it. The only thing I do is when I do a water change I use 3/8 tubing and try to suck up as much as possible. I feed every 2-3 days and my numbers are so low that I am starving my SPS. P04 0.01-0.00 Hanna checker and N03 is 0.00. Yet the bubble algae keeps growing and this has been going on for over a year so I dont believe that you can starve bubble algae out. I have no other algae in my system. So like you I would like to find a natural way to do it and until you mentioned foxface I didnt know there was a fish that would eat it. I would be happy to remove all other fish and just put a foxface in this tank and "I know it sounds mean" kind of starve him into eating it. Feed him every 3 days if that would help. I am going to do more research on this.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I'm in this boat as well. I'll let you know if I find anything too!

Choff

I thought I read emeralds can actually exacerbate the issue because when they eat the algae they pop it releasing spores into the tank.

...stupid auto correct

Oxylebius

Hi all, I'm a big fan of natural cures for problems because I don't see Mother Nature dosing anything so "something" has to work. Problem is bubble algae. Proposed solution is a foxface Lo. Cool fish but would love some experience posts. This would be in my sps tank. Trying to catch and relocate my purple tang now.

I'm also a big fan of natural cures. What size tank are you placing it in, your 120g? Tangs and Rabbitfish can be placed together if the tank is large enough. The 120 might be.

General thoughts on the fish -- I've kept the one spot foxface (Siganus unimaculatus) not the foxface lo (Siganus vulpinus), but they are very similar. Take care in handling them, they are not aggressive but do have venom in their spines. You don't want to accidentally prick yourself on them. They are very shy fish and will stay in hiding in the QT and when first introduced in the the DT. They also camouflage if startled or when hiding. This fish, like tangs, needs a diet of algae, so make sure you can provide lots of different algae for it. They are less prone to ich then most fish, it is quite a hardy little fish as long as it is given a good diet of algae. After a couple of weeks in DT my foxface was eating algae from my hand.

Interaction with sps -- I haven't had issues w/my foxface and sps corals. The fish does pick at the rocks all day but no issue with coral polyp death. It has eaten the Chlorodesmis species of algae that I have been dealing with for the past 3 years - yeah! That stuff is the worst and I went through crabs, hermits, snails, and fish to find something that eats it.

Interaction with other fish -- The foxface isn't an aggressive fish. If it is bothered by other fish it will flare its spines as a warning sign to the other fish to stay away, but it won't harass or chase after your other fish. Mine is housed with an angle, clowns, a blenny, and wrasse. Sometimes the angle or clown goes for it, again a little fin flaring from the foxface and then it swims away.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Great stuff guys. The foxface Lo is "supposed" to be more of an undesirable algae water vs the one spot. He will be going in my 120, just caught and sold the purple tang today so back to a peaceful tank. I try to set my tank up with nice fish that perform a role. My purple tang barely ever picked at the rocks do hopefully the foxface will.

I have 4 female emeralds, they either don't eat it or don't eat it fast enough but I've been wanting to replace the purple for a while.

Choff

Was watching a mr saltwater episode last night where he visited Julian sprungs personal reef tank. Julian was taking about his fish and why he selected them and said he got a Sailfin tang because they were voracious eaters of bubble algae.

...stupid auto correct

Snid

I've found that it's not too difficult to manually remove Bubble Algae if you have a steady hand. I simply chip at the base of the bubble, often times taking a small bit of rock, to prevent it from popping as Choff described. It's generally a slow growing Algae compared to things like GHA, so manual removal makes a big dent fast. I have almost none left, all from manually going in and removing it myself.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I can keep up with it by doing manual removal, I just don't want to :)

Since I was looking to get rid of the Purple I was trying to figure out a replacement......thought of a need, showed the picture to the wife and bingo, bought one on DD this morning.......and 3 more blue star wrasses!!! Hopefully my remaining female will take to the new ones. They are considered "small" so I hope they set up a nice pecking order.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Why does Diver's Den say that the Foxface LO can't be in an aquarium smaller than 125g, but the one-spot can be in one that's 70g? What's the big difference?

Steve L

I've always had the same outlook using emerald crabs for bubble algae as using peppermint shrimp for aiptasia. Not all of them will like to eat it, so buy more until you find one that will get the job done. I've been fortunate that I've only had two very small outbreaks of bubble algae and in both cases the purchase of a single emerald crab took care of the problem. The same can't be said for buying peppermint shrimp. The last time I had an outbreak of aiptasia it took buying 5 different shrimp until I found one that actually like eating aiptasia.

sirrealism

manually removal is fine but mine gets caught under things like in my egg crate and also in places thats real hard to get to. Plus 5 reefs and they all have a little in them. I was hopping to find a fish or a crab that when it was done with one I would move to another like I did with my Asterina starfish eating shrimp "harlequin" when he cleaned one tank of all the little pest starfish then I moved him to the next one and by the time he was done if there were any in the tanks he had been in well he went back in that tank to finish the job. When he was all done i passed him on to a friend then it made it to another reefer I know. Right now I think he has been in 9 different tanks and wipes them out. And yes everyone knows if you have a starfish you want to keep then put them in the sump wile the harlequin is doing its job. Also for some reason my harlequin tusk wanted nothing to do with my harlequin shrimp. Seems like the fish that would normally eat a shrimp dont mess with Harlequins

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Why does Diver's Den say that the Foxface LO can't be in an aquarium smaller than 125g, but the one-spot can be in one that's 70g? What's the big difference?

I think it is the size difference