Flatworm eXit question?

lowfi

Anybody use this stuff with good results? Ive read some on here, but also seen a few negatives online. I have seen 4-5 tiny flatworms on my glass and am debating on using this stuff before they get out of control.

Thanks,

Sean

rmlevasseur

FE is excellent, but you must follow the directions very carefully. Its also imperative to do a follow up dose a few weeks after the first, even if you don't see any.

lcstorc

Every report I have heard says it works.
You do want to siphon out as many as you can before and as many after as well as do a water change. Apparently the flatworms create a toxin when they die and you need to get that out of the tank ASAP. The more flatworms the more toxin.

CATALYST

Worked great for me too. Stuff got a little mad but a water change helped. Next day or two everybody was back to normal.

seafansar

Use it now before they get out of hand! Stuff works great. Use a small powerhead and aim it at all the little cracks and creavases in your rocks to make sure you get all the flatworms. Any in low flow areas will survive. Keep and eye out for any that made it through the treatment and treat again if you see any. You can use more than the recommened dose without any negative affects. It's the flatworm toxins, not the medicine that will hurt your livestock.

lowfi

OK ive read that you need to siphon the flatworms when they start dying. ive read that people can "immediately see a death response" from the flatworms crawling out of the rockwork. However, the flatworms i have are soooo tiny that i dont think ill be able to even see them when they start dying. I think they probably measure ~1mm or smaller. What do you think i should do? Maybe nuke em and then just do a nice water change? One week later do it again? Of course i will be running carbon to get out toxins...probably 2 HOF with black diamond. How does that sound?

Cheers,

Sean

seafansar

Sounds like you don't have all that many flatworms. Just nuke them and see how your tank looks. I FWE a 20 gal that had just a few flatworms and a fish, some corals, and inverts, and didn't run carbon or even do a water change until a few days later. Everything did fine, but you should still probably do a water change the same day.

lowfi

cool, thanks guys! yea i only noticed them crawling on the glass once or twice, then on closer inspection saw one on a zoa frag plug. they sort of looked like a golf divot fixer...when they were moving on the glass. thats a terrible description, but they had a long oval shaped body, but at the trailing edge had a V shape.

DublD

You surely have WAY more than you suspect. If you see a few, there are likely a ton of them hiding in the rocks and such. I used FWE successfully a little stronger than the box instructed with great results. siphon as many as you can see and use a filter sock to catch the others that get down the drain and have some fresh carbon ready. After a couple of doses of FWE, I picked up a sixline wrasse and haven't seen any flatworms since. Good luck

Jess

I'm noticing flatworms in my tank too. But I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have 4 Berghia Nudibranchs that have been doing an amazing job of keeping my tank aiptasia free (I had hundreds). I get different opinions on whether FWE would be harmful to the nudi's or not. I thought about just skipping the FWE and gettinga 6-line Wrasse, but again, will it go for the nudis too?

Ugh

seafansar

Haha...yeah you are in a jam Jess. The wrasse would probably go after the nudi's too. There is a company that sells them and warns against putting them in a tank with wrasses and other fish that would eat them. You could carefully pick out the 4 nudis, put them in a small tank or glass, and then treat the tank. Just run a lot of carbon and do a big water change before you put them back. I really don't know if FWE would kill them, but my guess is that it would.