Flame Scallop Help

AJLacey

Re: Electric Flame Scallop

Hi, i was just wandering if anyone could offer some help?!
Ive recently added one of these great little creatures (red flame scallop) to my aquarium and dissapointingly (after currently 1 week) am yet to see its amazing little light show!!
PH (8.2), Amonia (0), Nitrite (0) and Salinity/Specific Gravity (1.023) are all spot on, Nitrates are at less than 10mg/L, (haven't recently checked Calcium etc...)
Ive been feeding it once a day with Liquifry Marine by Interpet (which says on the box ideal for flame scallops!)
When i brought this, i was told that there was no light show due to temporarily high levels of nitrates in the shops tanks, but it would be fine when proper levels were resumed! Is it that some of these scallops have the light show and others dont, could it be dieing, or could i be doing something wrong?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated, cheers, Alex.

SubRosa

Did you scallop exhibit the light show before you bought it? There are two different Flame Scallops commonly sold. One flashes and one doesn't. The flashing type has a smoother shell than the non-flasher which exhibits moderately deep striations running along the shell.

John

SubRosa

I think you might have gotten taken. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay. Around here non-flashers sell for $8-$12, flashers go for $20-$25. I've sold alot of them over the years and that's the first time I ever heard about NO3 affecting the flashing.

John

cbrownfish

Unfortunately, in either case, Scallops have a very poor survival rate in captivity. Good luck, I hope they work out ok for you.

AJLacey

Thanks for the comments, seems i may have been done!!! I paid £11.50 for this one which looks like ive paid round-a-bout flashing prices for a non-flasher!! The one that i have has a rough shell (like a rasp) so pretty sure it must be the non-flasher now. (no, didnt flash in the shop)
Ill talk to the shop i think, as their selling them as "flashing red flame scallops" and then using the NO3 excuse! Unless they dont know theres a difference between the two types.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Flame Scallop is NOT the same as ELECTRIC scallop. Flame is just bright red and ELECTRIC is a flasher. Had both!! :)

naperenterprise

I have an electric eye, flame scallop, is that what you mean about flashing? The blue electric looking light show? I dont think thats really electricity, its just the blue back there, looks like electricity, but its not...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have an electric eye, flame scallop, is that what you mean about flashing? The blue electric looking light show? I dont think thats really electricity, its just the blue back there, looks like electricity, but its not...

Nope an Electric Scallop has an electric "arc" that runs across it's mantle. Method and "reason" are hypothetical but it's REAL and looks WAY cool!! It looks like a Stun gun/TAZAR running across the clams mantle.

p-79180-scallop.jpg

naperenterprise

It is very cool! I see mine, but didnt think it was really electricity. I thought it was a little blue lip that just looked like electric... I can see mine do it every now and then, but right now its facing in a weird position, and its hard to see...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The life expectancy of any true "Scallop" is short because we have our tank so "Clean". A scallop needs fairly nutrient rich waters.

JoJo

that sucks i wanted a flame scallop but it they dont live long i will have to do with out. thanks for the info Al.

Jason, how long have you had yours?

AJLacey

Hi All, thanks for the input,
Ive just lost my 'flame' scallop :( !
Dont think ive done too bad though, approx 7 months seems pretty good goin'.
Thinking about replacing with a new 'electric' flame scallop now! Just gonna make sure i take some back-up from the internet so the shop cant do me over again!!

Jason. . . . . Try turning your tank lights off or looking at night, they look well impressive!! And i found that my non electric one did well when feeding with baby brine shrimp from an in tank hatcher! (have to spot feed though)

Have a look at this link aswell all . . they came into the shop as 'flame scallops' but there clearly not. They have no electric but are equally impressive. . . i think anyway! Mines extremely lively, i thought it couldnt settle but ive had it for three months so far and seems to be getting bigger!! Excellant little additions!
Lima file clams (Lima lima) on the Shores of Singapore