Fish Eating Brittle star....

DesertOrchid

Has any one had problems with larger brittle stars eating their smaller fish such asclown gobies, firefish and small chromis?? I captured one of the 2 that are in my 72 gal bowfront reef and will eventually get the other one into quarantine. Then try again with the smaller fish. I've lost a 3 inch tail spot blenny, 3 firefish and a yellow clown goby. Swimmin one minute gone the next!! The only other possible culprit might be:sblush: a CB shrimp.... have never had a problem with those before. Just curious................:turntable

DesertOrchid

This is a fair sized CB ...never even saw it raise a claw to a passing fish but you never know ......it just might be the culprit! I just wondered if it was the starfish as the chromis seemed to disappear at night when they'd be sleeping near them in a crevice. The loss of the firefish really stump me as they stayed in the water column most of the time. I really detest these 'mysteries!'

DesertOrchid

It's possible!! Well I have 2 other tanks that they will be residing in that there is nothing to harm but xenias, taro trees and mushrooms. We'll see how they like isolation from paradise! :tumble:

Lemonpeel

Ive never had a problem with my Brittle or my CB. But, you never can tell. Stay away from the bright green brittles called serpent stars, they'll eat anything they can catch...

redneckgearhead

Brittle....I have learned that "reef safe" is not always correct. I think they need to change it to "may be reef safe" lol. But I think the stars (as well as others) are opportunistic eaters and will grab a quick meal when the opportunity presents itself.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I saw my old one prop itself up to make a tunnel......he tried to catch fish but none while I was watching but I always suspected him for the loss of my royal gramma.