(First Reef Tank Ever) **** 600gal Display **** 1300gal System

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbui2

thanks guys, i also install 90 elbow on intake of skimmer 2" below sump surface to get better skimming. just alot of junk floating in the sump surface.

cbui2

ok skimmer should be good for now until more adjustment is done. my reactor is coming in today so i will be setting this up asap since micron bags is not my friend right about now. any sugesstion on cleaners i can add to get rid of my brown alage, since this is common correct.

check all water parameters today

Temp: 78d F +/- 1.0
Salinity: 1.025
pH: low 8.10 high 8.3
NO3: undetectable
NO2: undetectable
NH4: undetectable
PO4: undetectable
Ca: 420ppm
Alk: 9 – 10 DKH
Mg: 1300ppm

6-15.jpg

about 5hrs. what a beast?
6-15a.jpg

6-15b.jpg

cbui2

ok here are some more updates, reactor was plumb in and total of 3 1200g bucket phosban was used. and some more nog
:eek1:
6-16.jpg

6-16b.jpg

6-16a.jpg

Snappy

Ambitious project for your first reef tank, I love it. You are doing a great job, well done. I am looking forward to seeing things progress further.:snshne:

cbui2

thanks guys and girl,
water clearing up real good and reactor is kicking in too. i have it dial in about 700gph just tumbling around the media and trying not to stir it up. i had to shut down my skimmer since there was nothing left to skim.:D except the water..:D also did some cleaning today and all i can say is the magnavore 10 is truly amazing piece. will be finishing up on the chiller this week, but i might just take a break for few days or not :eek1:

left side
6-17.jpg

right side
6-17a.jpg

side
6-17c.jpg

cbui2

thank you all, just wired up the other 2 MH left and right just to see how it would look. here are some pics with all 3 MH on. since my temp is rising i will have to finish chiller this week.

6-17aa.jpg

6-17bb.jpg

6-17cc.jpg

6-17dd.jpg

6-17ee.jpg

6-17ff.jpg

jhnrb

On the recirculating skimmer you turn the skimmer off. keep the feed running to the skimmer with the out flow valve to sump wide open, close down the feed valve until the water level in the skimmer is about one inch or two below the black collar, then start to close the outflow until the water in the skimmer chamber is at the black ring where the cylinder starts to shape down, turn the skimmer on and adjust the air. this process increases dwell time and the adjustment of air will determine the type of skimmate you get. hope this helps.

kyle1284

thats awesome! what kinda MH are u using? This is really your first saltwater tank ever?!? thats insane! Why not start off big right? HA

addict

I agree with Craig... awesome tank! :thumbup:

One caveat, though... the sight of all those damsels makes me cringe. They are the most territorial of the reef fishes and will kill anything new you add to the tank, since they've gotten there first and will have already established their territories.

It's my opinion that you should get rid of them, and concentrate on fish that are more community-friendly... but with all that rock they're gonna be a pain in the butt to get out of there.

Also, you don't have to change all your outlets to GFI as was previously suggested, since you only need a single GFI on each circuit, and can run the rest of the circuit off of the GFI outlet (there's connections on the plug just for this). I highly recommend it, especially with all that water in there, if you haven't done so already.

Otherwise, that thing is sweet! :)

cbui2

On the recirculating skimmer you turn the skimmer off. keep the feed running to the skimmer with the out flow valve to sump wide open, close down the feed valve until the water level in the skimmer is about one inch or two below the black collar, then start to close the outflow until the water in the skimmer chamber is at the black ring where the cylinder starts to shape down, turn the skimmer on and adjust the air. this process increases dwell time and the adjustment of air will determine the type of skimmate you get. hope this helps.

got the skimmer working fine already, thanks.

cbui2

thats awesome! what kinda MH are u using? This is really your first saltwater tank ever?!? thats insane! Why not start off big right? HA

PFO HQI 400w single ballast w/14k hamilton, yeap this is my very first tank ever. i had never owned not even a 5gal setup b4. i just didnt want to upgrade later down the line. thanks

cbui2

I agree with Craig... awesome tank! :thumbup:

One caveat, though... the sight of all those damsels makes me cringe. They are the most territorial of the reef fishes and will kill anything new you add to the tank, since they've gotten there first and will have already established their territories.

It's my opinion that you should get rid of them, and concentrate on fish that are more community-friendly... but with all that rock they're gonna be a pain in the butt to get out of there.

Also, you don't have to change all your outlets to GFI as was previously suggested, since you only need a single GFI on each circuit, and can run the rest of the circuit off of the GFI outlet (there's connections on the plug just for this). I highly recommend it, especially with all that water in there, if you haven't done so already.

Otherwise, that thing is sweet! :)

thanks, but breaker on panel have GFI already. yeah those damsels are real smart so still trying to get them out.

cbui2

ok here are some more updates, finally after so many days finished the chiller and rest of the plumbing.
sheetrock was cutout then bulks were installed. ball and gates valves were used throughtout the plumbing for fine tuning.

intake and outlet for chiller with bulks
6-28c.jpg

6-28.jpg

here's the Fish Room along with 100gal of plumbing
6-28a.jpg

6-28b.jpg

refugium is the last set of plumbing needed to be done after that i'm a happy camper.

blue_eyes53813

WOW that is alot of plumbing... Looks great... Very well thought out... I would be baffled at what goes to what.. Nice job

DewDropPony

MY EYES ARE POPPING OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bugout: :bugout: :bugout:

Some day I will have something like this!! How much have you spent so far? dare I ask.

kathywithbirds

MY EYES ARE POPPING OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bugout: :bugout: :bugout:

Some day I will have something like this!! How much have you spent so far? dare I ask.

The heck with that, what do you do for a living, if you don't mind me asking? I gotta get in on it. I need to support this hobby.

mps9506

You know, the equipment room kind of reminds me of Steve Weast's old setup (not the recent one that crashed, but the tank before that).

Status
Not open for further replies.