Finger Leather Texture?

I have a strange question that someone here may miraculously have the answer to. I got a finger leather coral from a VERY reputable fish store in my area on Friday and when I was acclimating it, I moved it from the bag to the bucket. Trying to touch only the rock it was attached to, I accidentally touched the coral itsself and it was hard. It felt course... Is that normal? I expected to be soft and rubbery like my toadstool. At first all I could think was " I just bought a completely dead coral." but when I put it in the tank, my coral banded shrimp bumped it and it started excreting that milky substance they use for defense so I know it's at least alive. I know most reefers don't go around molesting their corals to feel the texture, LOL but does anyone somehow have any experience with this? :dunno: Will it help if I post a pic? I'll have to borrow my boyfriend's cam if you guys think that will help.

DaveK

Yes, what you see is normal.

Leather corals, when retracted, are much denser compared to the same coral when open. Same amount of living tissue in a much smaller area.

You have nothing to worry about.

While we are on the subject, to grow, a leather corals contracts and sheds a waxy layer of "skin". This is also normal. Don't think you corals is sick, it's not. Just leave it alone and it will open larger in a day or two.

wow thank you so much for your quick response. I have been freaking out about this because I really like the coral. It's shedding some waxiness now, just in small flakes. I've experienced it before with my toadstool, so I figured it was good news. Do you think the color will intensify when it opens up too? It is a very very pale pink right now.

I have T5 HOs. It's only a 30 gal though. It doesn't bother me if it doesn't brighten up; it's beautiful no matter what. I was just wondering if I can look for brightening as a sign of it expanding again, cause I'm not gonna be poking it to check LOL. It's just so hard to compare what it should look like with other pics online since they're so hard to identify. Like, I don't even know if it's supposed to extend visible polyps or remain smooth looking.

Finger Leathers (if that's what it is) aren't usually very Bright & Colorful. Sometimes they'll have UBER white polyps and sometimes more creamy/brown depending on the exact leather and where it came from.

Here are some pics of my Finger Leather in different "Moods"
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/756758-post4.html

Hopefully that helps some :)
Thanks Al, That definitely helps. Right now mine looks very similar to the first picture, only it's pale pinkish... so i guess I can assume that maybe one day it will be extending polyps, yessss!! :) I love to watch polyps like that blow around. It gives so much life to the tank. My toadstool is very pouty like that, especially when I first got it. It would get that waxiness like every other day (usually when I had visitors to my house who wanted to see the tank :closed: lol). But now it behaves much better for me. Leathers are so moody but so worth it!!!

Haha you DO know you're talking to a female, right? lol JK. It's true. I have more male friends than female because they all act like leather corals! (haha that's probably the quote of the century)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
LOL! Yes I knew that silly girl! If I hadn't of known that my comment wouldn't have been nearly as funny :)

Now stop pouting and back to REEFING :)