Feeding

advntrsekrs

How do you guys know what to feed each of your babies? Is there a book that will help with what eats what? I am still in the planning stage and I want to be able to figure out what tank mates are compatible in behavior and with eating habits. Finally, where do you get your "fish food"?
Thanks for the help.:)

jimeluiz

Welcome Adventureseeker! Others are sure to have links - and Reeflady has her own recipie... Your question is open to both fish and coral interpretation.

For corals (an fish I presume) you will hear folks suggest you switch out various different foods so as to keep a well rounded and balanced nutritional diet. We use a home-made mush of fish and shellfish from a recipie in Eric Borneman's great book "Aquarium Corals; Selection, Husbandry and Natural History." His book articulates the feeding needs for each coral he catalogs. Everything seems to love the mush.

We switch that out with a commercial formula - frozen cubes - we get at our LFS. Twice a week I put phytoplancton into the water column. And I switch that out with something called Coral Heaven from Indo Pacific Sea Farm (the jury is out for me on this item -- it was a free sample in another shipment)

For the fish -- well they seem pretty happy with the chunks in the coral mush. To that we add some pellets that promote good color. We also use flakes on occation, again, just to keep things interesting and varied. Scott Michael's book "Reef Fishes" is a great reference that will cite specific care needs for countless fish species. It will also help you with species compatability questions.

The thing to keep in mind is LESS IS MORE when it comes to feeding. So you really need to be observant as to what quantity of food can be eaten by your tank inhabitants in a brief period of time. Go slow. They are tiny creatures that do not follow the US penchant for 'super-sizing' everything. That will just foul your water quality.

While our fish are always 'begging' for food, I think it is safe to say they are getting fed plenty and that fish that are always acting hungry are healthy fish.

Oh, and I should add that we also use seaweed for our Tang (s/he's a vegetarian - but not that stricct a one :p s/he seemes to eat most anything. But s/he loves the piece of seaweed we put in there periodically.

Anyway - that should get things started. :D

wooddood

the wood dude
books would be a great present under the tree and last a lifetime.the books and what you learn from them. dave.

Cougra

Travis: I cann't access that link you've posted. I"m getting a "You don't have permission to access this page" message.

naru

During feeding, do people turn-off their powerheads, skimmers, return pump, etc.? Some, all??

naru

jimeluiz

I do not usually turn off all circulation, but I can see why that would be a good idea, especially for some of our corals. The Coral HEaven product from IPSF suggestes turning off everything for 60 minutes!! What I do do is take the opportunity during water changes (when I have to turn off pumps becuase he water level drops below the top of my return pump) to feed corals while the water is circulation-free :smirk:

Right now I am trying to nurse our orange Carnation coral back to good health (picky eater) so I am taking more time and turning off circulation to get her to eat something!:doh:

But in general things just swirl around in there at feeding time.:D :D

Curtswearing

Originally posted by Cougra
Travis: I cann't access that link you've posted. I"m getting a "You don't have permission to access this page" message.

Go to the Research Section----then Coral Research----then coral feeding.

PS---what skin are you using?