Feeding Tank raised seahorses

Ok, Have had them (Kellogi, females) 3 days and they don't seem to be eating much. They were supposed to be tank raised and eating frozen brine and mysis. I have tried baby brine, adult brine and mysis. They ignore much of it (I just saw one of them grab an adult brine, horray). There is a healthy population of amphipods in the tank or was before they got here. Seen them pluck here and there, but not alot. They are alert and hunting though.

Any tricks or tips? Should I just keep trying the frozen? I will be getting some live brine tomorrow, but would prefer they eat frozen if possible. sigh..

One of them is eating a bit. Maybe I have just forgotten how lazy they are! If it isn't a mm away, they don't want to bother. Still would like some hints to get them eating better though.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I don't have my seahorses yet so I am tagging along; but they are ambush predators, which is why they look lazy. Can you feed them with a pipette or baster?

I did run across this on seahorse.org

"Feed them enough brine that the tank seems to be experiencing something like a moderate "snow shower". Try to avoid overfeeding. Adjust the amount of baby brine shrimp you put in at each feeding until you find the amount that they will finish in about 4 hours. If there is leftover brine at the next feeding always adjust accordingly."

seahorse.org - Library

HTH

D3monic

are the pumps running? What kind of flow is in the tank? Personally I would turn the pumps off when feeding so food is virtually motionless so they have time to "pounce". I have never raised seahorses but would love to if I can talk the wife into letting me set up another tank.

Aynesa

Okay, first of all, tank raised means nothing at all. When buying seahorses, you only want to get "Captive Bred", and from well known and respected breeders like at Seahorsesource.com or Seahorse.com. Tank Raised often means they were raised in large tanks but are wild caught.

Training them to eat frozen can be a challenge, and a big one. Generally the rule of thumb is to feed twice a day, in the same place every day, but personally I've never had to deal with it. I never buy seahorses without SEEING them eat.

You may also be able to find good help at Seahorse.org :)

Thank you for some responses.
I turn the powerhead off when feeding so everything is barely moving.
The only thing I have seen either of them eat are the adult brine. I still don't see them eat everytime though. Feeding twice a day using a baster toward their location.

Is the feeding getting better? Have you tried PE mysis? it's awesome! my horses love it! It's alot more nutritous for them. If you have a target feeder, use that, just 1 or 2 peices right in front of them at a time. You migth also want to try fasting them for a day and then introducing frozen. HTH

K L R

I had seahorses for 2 years and they like the lowest pump speed you can set your pump to and if they dont eat they like live brine they seem to enjoy the hunt for them

l3fty999

If you're feeding adult brine, don't forget that they have little nutritional value. Maybe feed the brine shrimp first, a practice commonly known as "gut loading".

Good luck
Aaron

Update: Both girls are eating great and now have garden eel tankmates. Everyone is eating frozen brine and mysis that are soaked in Zoe.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!