ExTech Electronic PH Tester

StirCrayzy

Hey guys, lookin for some feedback. If anyone has ever seen one of these.

My DadInLaw buys Lots of random unknown crap for cheap, in hopes of finding something worth $$ on resale. He mentioned he had a test kit and I quickly agreed to take a look.
Upon exam I find the damaged product is leaking cap from the electrode fluid. No biggie it seems. I'm gonna try to dig up instructions or something to give it a run on my freshly emptied QT Which I just tested at 8.4 (API).
It's Made in China, and looks cheap, so I don't have high hopes. But it was free to me and I would greatly appreciate a quick reading when doing FW baths / meds/ and stuff.

Thks for lookin !

DaveK

Your chances of this being any good are almost nill. pH electrodes need to stay moist in a storage solution to stay functional. In addition pH electrodes has a finite life of a couple of years at most, even with the best of care. Personally, I wouldn't spend any money on it.

Since you got it for free, you cah try cleaning it up and seeing how it works. It will need to be calibrated to get accurate results.

may2024

Extech products are not that cheap. I have never used their ph tester but own a couple of other testers made by them and they all work pretty well.

My phone.

StirCrayzy

Looks like I need either 4, 7, or 10 Ph calibration solution. It has a sealed chamber for the electrode and solution to keep it in. Also it appears by changing electrodes, this could also measure ORP.

After some reading of setup instructions, it seems this was used and returned for some reason. It reads my tank at 7.43 but I'm pretty sure I'm around 8.2