ETSS Reef Devil Skimmer.... question

Snelly40

hey guys... so when redoing my tank, my ASM G3 met an unfortunate end and I had a friend with this Reef Devil, reviews are good however it seems finicky. one day is skims good skimate and the next im overflowing. I adjusted how high it sits in the water but I didn't know if anyone else has one or has had one. I could possibly run it externally if you think that may be more effective or more consistent. thanks for your help..

http://www.superskimmer.com/rd.htm

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 18

Snelly40

I have been reading and maybe I should add bioballs into the downdraft chamber, I took them out b/c always heard they are nitrate factories but people are saying they help this skimmer work... hmm

Last edited:

DaveK

This is a down draft skimmer. The bioballs are required for it to work properly. This is one place where you want to put them back. The bioballs should be cleaned or replaced every few months. While they will grow a bacteria film, it's not a big part of the biological filtration. The bioballs are to break up the water coming in, so you get all the fine bubbles needed to skim.

Another area to keep an eye on is the water level of the sump's skimmer chamber. If it's too high or too low the skimmer will not function at it's best. A good ATO system really helps here.

Snelly40

ok, bio balls have been in for about 2 weeks and skimmer is rocking!! thanks for the help guys!!