Epoxy

Comboverguy

Greetings. Wishing everyone a fantastic New Year. My first question: Has anyone successfully used just plain stick or liquid epoxy, like you can get at walmart to glue live rock together? Just looking to save a few bucks over the "marine" epoxy. I'm worrying that it may have some toxicity to it that would harm my aquarium. I guess when I figure what I have invested in my aquarium that it probably wouldn't be worth a couple bucks to take the chance. But anyway, just wondering if anyone has experience with it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome to RS!

I see no reason to "Risk" a couple of dollars unless you are SURE you are getting the right stuff. Yes there are some "economical" alternatives to the Marine Epoxy but unless you know for sure I wouldn't get it into my tank. It would be a shame to crash a $$$$ tank over saving $5.

Good luck and Happy Reefing :)

seafansar

I use superglue gel (I've used a few brands and they all seem the same, just make sure you get the GEL kind) and Aquamarine two part epoxy sticks. You can find them at Home Depot. Lowes used to sell the epoxy, but they quit carrying it.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

livebait

Greetings. Wishing everyone a fantastic New Year. My first question: Has anyone successfully used just plain stick or liquid epoxy, like you can get at walmart to glue live rock together? Just looking to save a few bucks over the "marine" epoxy. I'm worrying that it may have some toxicity to it that would harm my aquarium. I guess when I figure what I have invested in my aquarium that it probably wouldn't be worth a couple bucks to take the chance. But anyway, just wondering if anyone has experience with it.

AquaMend, $3.99 at my local HomeDepot. It's a two part epoxy that comes in a tube. Green outside layer, white inside, just cut off what you need and blend it together until the color is consistant. I used it for my rockwork and my only LPS coral.

Comboverguy

Thank you all for the info. I just put in the live sand and am waiting for it to clear so I can put in the live rock. I really didn't realize that I'm so impatient. I look at the tank every 15-20 minutes to see if its cleared up yet. By the way I went ahead and ordered the official marine epoxy online and am just itching to start gluing.