Elos Omega Amino Acid Coral Food

Mavjoy

Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone tried this stuff and if it's even worth it. Any links or article would be nice. Thanks!

Mavjoy

Got some info from my local reef club and it got positive results:bluenod: . I'm gonna try to use it by next week and will post progress.

Mavjoy

RM- Positive results were: better coloration of SPS and other types of corals, polyp extension was also mentioned, growth was also noticeable in short period of time after using amino acids. They also mentioned that no changed was made on their routine maintenance while they added amino acids. Some used the Elos brand others used something else like Brightwell. It didn't changed their water parms while they were using it. I'm gonna try it for a month and see.

Mavjoy

A piece of an article others found:
Sunlight impinging on the reef kicks off the energy cycle by promoting photosynthesis within free-swimming plankton in the water column and also within the zooxanthellae of the scleractinian corals that we obsess about in our aquaria. Photosynthesis utilizes the sunlight's energy to "fix" (= attach) inorganic carbon in the form of CO2 to organic chemical structures that eventually become carbohydrates (cf. Fig. 1). These carbohydrate building blocks are chemically manipulated further by the zooxanthellae and/or the coral host and then secreted by the coral as coral mucus (a combination of complex polysaccharides, amino acid oligomers/polymers, lipids, etc., cf. Fig. 1). The carbohydrates and amino acids within the mucus serve as food sources for the bacteria and other microbiota that comprise the foundation of the marine food pyramid (Kirchman, 1990; Rich, 1996; Weiss, 1999; Wild, 2004; Sharon, 2008). The remaining reef inhabitants, including the very corals that house the zooxanthellae, then feed on these energy rich microbes (or, in turn, on the organisms that eat the microbes, ad infinitum), thus perpetuating the reef's nutrient recycling food web.

Mavjoy

Here is another one by Richard Gilliland:
Amino Acids are quickly becoming one of the most popular additives to any serious reef keeper's arsenal. There are many different reasons why they are being used and many why I suggest everyone should use them. Many vitamins and proteins are including in one easy dosing supplement to provide your corals with much needed elements they would not otherwise get in a closed aquarium environment.

In Nature corals will receive these proteins via plankton, micro plankton or even bacterial plankton. However in a close aquarium environment these are normally absent. Zooxanthellae which live symbiotically in many corals "excrete" these acids which in turn feed the coral along with many other substances. In most aquariums the activity of these symbiotic algaes are greatly reduced in which the corals are only "Surviving" and not "Thriving".

Indirect and Direct feeding's are generally not the best method to approach feeding your corals as it generally results in increased nutrient levels such as phosphates and nitrates. This is where the Amino acids come in handy. By dosing high quality products such as Zeovit Amino acid concentrates you are introducing the correct proportions of amino acids found in coral skeletons. This is helping to create the natural living conditions found in a wild living coral reef.

Higher end amino acids on the market are supplying up to 17 important amino acids essential to stony coral growth. These supplements also help coral utilize the absorption of calcium seen in their natural environment and increasing your coral growth in the aquarium. From our experience you will also notice increased polyp extension during their "daylight" hours.

There are many options on the market for amino acids but really there are only a few that aren't using preservatives which decrease the quality of the product. Some are Zeovit Amino Acid Concentrate, Zeovit Amino Acid Concentrate for LPS. Elos OMGEA and Selcon.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sounds good Mavjoy. I wonder if there are any negatives. If it reduces feeding corals and thus the increased bio-load due to wasted food, it would seem to be all positives.

Mavjoy

A good friend of mine and a experience reefer said that it's all just nutrients. I still want to try it tho. It does not say that if affects water quality and parms, so I'll give it try.

Mavjoy

I finally bought a bottle today and started it today. I'm using 2 drops a day and will post a before and after pic after 2 weeks. I'm still gonna do my weekly routine maintenance like WC's and so forth. I'll be dosing at nite time when usually the polyps are out for feeding. Wish me luck!

Mavjoy

It's only been a week that I've been dosing and I don't see any big pluses or minuses yet. I'm just doing 2 drops per day. I guess it takes time like everything else..hehe. I'll post after 2 weeks...so 1 more week to go.

Mavjoy

Dustin- I got it from Neptunes Aquatics here in san jose but you can get it from marine depot too.

Ratpack

Is 2 drops all it recommends? If so I may have to give that a try. The Brightwell product I am using is somewhere like 16 drops per 20 gallons.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Let us know how it does after a while of dosing. Marine depot had 5 of 7 great reviews, but also 2 that disturbed me:

" Comments: I got this one month ago and I am still waiting for the hype of this product to shine through.. nothing has changed at all... 120 gallon reef tank and i think it also killed my clam.. do what you want
I would not recommend this product to my friends. "

"Comments: I have been keeping and servicing Reef Aqauriums for over 15 years. I recently tried this product after hearing Mike Paletta endorse it at a reef trade show in Orange Co., CA. I am always carefull when trying a new product and followed the directions exactly. After about 3 weeks I noticed some corals beginning to fade and not open. The nxt thing I noticed was my Acanthastrea corals starting to die. Next most of my sps were fading even more. I stopped using the product after about 5 weeks and did a large water change. The SPS look better now but my Acans are gone. This product has a strong medicinal smell to it which does not appear naturally derived. Before using this product I used another US brandname Vitamin/Amino Acid supplement with great results. I think that just because a product comes form Europe does not mean it is the best on the market.
I would not recommend this product to my friends. "

Strange it would get 5 rave reviews and 2 bad ones.

Mavjoy

Sup guys, I'm on my 2nd week of dosing(2 drops) and I can't really see any "BIG" change but all my LS are doing great! I will post a before and after pics tomorrow nite and you guys be the judge. 2 weeks might not be enough to see any noticeable results but I'm still going to post it.