elegance coral pests

naperenterprise

COMMON NAMES: Coral-gall Crab

GLOBAL DISTRIBUTION: NATIVE e.Africa - Japan - Cooks, Hawai‘i

COOK ISLANDS STATUS: Native; Marine, near-shore

KEY FEATURES: Occupy pits in the massive corals of the family Faviidae. [Common in the Cook Islands forming circular-mouthed pits on faviid corals.
5AS078_Cryp-cora_SAK_MXq-FS_TXtmp.jpg

BigJay

If you've ever seen the pits they are absolutely tiny. Usually leaves a small ringed area on the outside of the pit but it rarely damages the coral beyond that.

more aptly put a small hole in the coral.

BigJay

lol stuff like this is fun. More so for us then you obviously. But its always neat when something new is happening and you actually have to strive to figure it out. I enjoy it anyway.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
They sure look similar to the gall crabs. We still know very little about marine life, and they may just be a larger species of gall crab. I've often wondered how many of us have things in our tanks, or have seen coral, fish or invert behavior, that no marine biologist has ever identified or seen yet. Food for thought, and IMO a very distinct possibility.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Great article CB! I was doing some searching and found a few mentions of the galls in/on brain & other corals too. Now you'll have me staring at my P. damacornis for hours to see if I have a Pocillopora type gall crab! :)