Electronic Ballast

jgking21

How long do Electronic Ballast typically last?

I've had mine running 2 years with no problems, but today for some reason it did not fire up. Any input on this will be greatly appreciated, I don't want the corals going without light for to long.

DaveK

This can happen, but you got to know if the problem is the ballast or the bulb. Replace the bulb and see if you still have the problem. If the bulb works, the original bulb was bad. If not, the ballast is bad.

One trick you can do if you have a multiple bulb fixture is to swap the bulbs. If you don't have a space bulb, you might as well get one. You'll use it sooner or later anyway. I usually save the old bulbs when I change them just in case I need to do a test like this.

To answer your specific question, I've had electronic ballasts fail after only a year, but it's unusual. I've also had some for many years, and they are still OK, so you just never know.

On some electronic ballasts, there is a fuse. Be sure to check that also.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
My Reef Fanatic EB lasted just about 3 years, replaced it with the Icecap EB and going on 4 years without any issues. What type of Ballast are using {Metal Halide or T5/PC's or VHO's} and who makes it ?

jgking21

It is a MH ballast, made by Brilliant. It's a cheaper ballast I believe, so I'm not completely surprised by it just failing. I'll look into the fuse and see if I can find something, otherwise I don't believe it's the bulb as I don't ever hear the ballast firing. For the time being I have an old PC fixture (new bulbs) that I'm using just to give the tank some light, but I know that will only work for a few days.