electricity experts!!

angnak

I am in the process of running two new plugs to my breaker box. I have a friend that is an electrician and told me to run two separate wires for two breakers in the main panel. The plugs will be about 60-70 feet away. He recommend a 20 amp and a 25 amp. One for the lights and one for the pumps and all other misc. He said use 10 and 12 gauge wire. How does this sound? I will just use a product like the American DJ switch board thingy to easily switch things on and off so one plug for for lights and one plug for the other stuff should suffice. Thanks for the help!

Also, I was looking at my ballast and it says 2.2 amp line current for the ballast and 1.3 amp for the bulbs. So that means that to run the lights on that ballast it is using a total of 3.5 amps or does it mean that the total amp for everything is 2.2 and 1.3 is for the lights. The first sounds more reasonable but I just want to make sure.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
10 g for 25 amp, 12 g for 20. The 3.5 amps is peak load at starting I think, then it backs down, using the higher # is a better way to rate overall load. Steve

jhnrb

Im not familiar with a residential 25 amp 120 v breaker. normally 120v breakers are 15,and 20 amp for standard residential structrures. anyways, at 70 feet there will be some voltage drop but not a lot, I would recommend a couple 20 amp breakers on #12 wire i.e. thhn-thwn 90 degree centigrade rating, or #12 type B 600 v romex cable. Remember the purpose of a breaker is to protect the wiring system not the equipment pluged into it. I assume you have a grounded system. hope this helps.

meandean45

Did your' friend the Electrician reccomend "Ground Fault Circuit Interupters" (GFCI's)? Always a good idea around water.

Dean