Electrical safety

SJS

IMO a grounding probe is one of the most important things you could get for your tank!

I have this one: Titanium Ground Probe (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Miscellaneous > GFCI Cords & Grounding Probes )

and since I got it, it has made a huge difference. Read the review I wrote about it and that will explain the story.

It's a Great story!!

I just had an eletrician come out and run a dedicated circuit (??) with 2 GFI outlets - didn't take him much time to do it and not expensive considering the possible consequenses...

Octoman

So what about controllers?

I've been looking at one for a while, but I think this may be the reason I was looking for to finally get one. I really hate all the timers with multiple things plugged into them and the heater controller and everything else jumbled up behind the stand. It seems like each additional connection is another chance for a short or spark.

Am I right in assuming that they should be designed to hold up around s/w tanks?

tbittner

I love my controller but I DIY'd it. It's not an easy DIY and I don't recommend it to anyone.

Others rave about the aqua controllers. I can't remember which one it is but the one that Booze has is THE top of the line. If I would have known I was going to spend as much as I did on my equipment, I would have seriously considered the one he has.

Octoman

I'm looking at the ACjr. It will do everything I need for this tank and a bit more.

I think DIYing my own controller would be the biggest electrical hazard of all!! I have rudimentary electrical skills that mostly result in me getting shocked. Maybe I can get a grant from NASA to have you come install one at my house... :)

elliottb

*sigh* Its alright. For those that are wondering why my tank looked like garbage then it is because I was going through a few rough times.... Bulbs went out, low on money and time.

tbittner

I'm looking at the ACjr. It will do everything I need for this tank and a bit more.

I think DIYing my own controller would be the biggest electrical hazard of all!! I have rudimentary electrical skills that mostly result in me getting shocked. Maybe I can get a grant from NASA to have you come install one at my house... :)

:LOL: