Electric Flame Scallop

ds69

well of course not but someone has to see if it will live. I know it sounds terrible but that is how all animals in captivity came to be. We have all made an impulse buy before :p Im just glad you are responsible and doing what you can to keep him alive.

cindyp

I know this is a year late but is you flame scallop still alive??? I really need to know.Thanks

rmlevasseur

People might say ( this is not personal- sorry if it seems so ) that it is an animal to be left in th ocean, but weren't all at one time? When this hobby started it was carp kept in a clay pot for a couple of days until they died. Maybe there right, delicate animals already suffer from us...
Pave the way man...

I don't agree with this sentiment unless you have a plan for doing something different. It has pretty much been established that our current technology cannot keep these guys long term. Unless you have a real plan for doing something different or are actually doing research particular to this species, why ignore what hundreds (thousands?) have already learned?

I don't mean this to be personal either, and God knows I've made my mistakes, but keeping an animal with the knowledge that it is likely to fail even under the best of our current technology is, imo, irresponsible if not arrogant. When the technology improves, perhaps this won't be the case anymore.

slakker

Woo Hoo! I just noticed I posted originally last February and the little guy is still going strong!

3367193636_4910a35745_o.jpg

Thought this was worth the bump!

AJLacey

Jason. . . . . Hows your electric scallop doing? Try turning your tank lights off or looking at night, they look well impressive!! And i found that my non electric one did well when feeding with baby brine shrimp from an in tank hatcher! (have to spot feed though)

Have a look at this link aswell all . . they came into the shop as flame scallops but there clearly not. They have no electric but are equally impressive. . . i think anyway! Mines extremely lively, i thought it couldnt settle but ive had it for three months so far and seems to be getting bigger!! Excellant little additions!
Lima file clams (Lima lima) on the Shores of Singapore

cindyp

yeah mines still alive and well too I hope I dont jinx it . I have been putting shrimp eggs in the fuge they hatch and endup all over the tank maybe that helps it to survive along w/ phyto..

psykokid

i had mine for two months, he got himself wedged under a piece of lr and my tanksitter found him buried and full of sand while i was on vacation last week. definitely a unique specimen to keep if you can keep them alive.
IMG_0134.jpg

drabah

What you see are not electric sparks. Electricity does not make sparks under water. What actually is taking place is a form of bioluminescence, a chemical phenomenon in which light is produced by oxidation of a biochemical, luciferin.

GrendelPrime

those scallops remind me of moorish idols. alot of people are drawn to them in the hope that some how there tank has the magic ingredent to keep these animals that are destened to slowley wither away in our aquariums. some people have luck for a little while but thousands of people dont and they just chalk it up to a "well i have it the college go" ,not raggin just an observation
if he is still alive u should keep a log of what u feed, water analisys, tank mates ect.