El Turco's Red Sea Max 250 Diary

ElTurco

Hi friends;

Watch my Skunk Cleaner Shrimp hatching...

Enjoy :spinner:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk06hP6ys00[/YOUTUBE]

David Shaw

Wow, what timing, to manage to catch that on video.

It's a shame not even 1 manages to make it to development without being eaten. Would save some money having to buy them at the LFS then.

ElTurco

Thanks all...

Yesterday night I was just adding my Seriatopora Hystrix & Montipora Digidata frags. Just seen my shrimp was about to spawn, ran to the photo camera which was on the other side of the home :) Ran back just clicked to record it was a matter of seconds :)

Added theme music as "champions for evermore" for that reason. Guess I broke a new world record running home under 10 seconds :winner:

brgds

ElTurco

How did you know it was about to spawn?

It is easy. First the eggs are very visible. After a time the belly of the shrimp gets full with eggs. Just before spawning the shrimp chooses a point where ( i believe) the most flow exists and begins moving her belly outwards and her small legs ( or tentacles) fully open. It is like she is getting ready for running.

This is my third time I caught her hatching but as David said it is really pity none of them survive.

brgds

redsea reefer

Well, I have a pair Fire Shrimp and my female is on her 3rd batch of eggs that I can see and some now. I have yet to witness a spawn, maybe Fire's spawn at night...

ElTurco

Well, I have a pair Fire Shrimp and my female is on her 3rd batch of eggs that I can see and some now. I have yet to witness a spawn, maybe Fire's spawn at night...

Guess lighting is important as well. All hatchings I had witnessed were just before the lights went off ( may be it is a coincedance ) :ponder2:

ElTurco

Hi;

I was just surfing for a tool coral&fish compatibility. Have just found below which is handy. Do you have any other fish recommendation that will go with corals?

compatibility_chart.gif

tnwillia

Look at Live Aquaria. They give a reef safe or degree compatability with all their fish. Have fun!

ElTurco

Hi all;

Just wanted to share... A very good way of keeping natural reefs alive...

brgds

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI04VK0NMyM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Great video, I wonder whether this looks any different since the oil leak.

Paul

I don't think so - Fiji (where the video was made) is in the middle of the Pacific and the oil leak is in the Gulf of Mexico - Atlantic Ocean side of the North/South American continents.