EK's Nano.

EdgeKrusher

Hey it's been a while since I've posted anything about my tank. I had a 12 gallon eclipse heavily modified as my first nano reef, actually my first reef tank. It was up and running for over a year, and in that time it had seen cyano, temp crash (killed several corals), loss of several fish, good growth, hours of enjoyment, and alot of wear and tear. Acrylic tanks... never again. It had so many scratches on it, that after the ritual wall cleaning it still looked dirty. There was coraline imbeded in the acrylic, and you couldn't look 2 inches in any direction without seeing a gouge or a scratch.
Well as it happens my girlfriend and I had planned a camping trip over memorial day weekend. We were all ready to go, had all the gear packed up, and took one last look at the weather. That last weather report ended the camping trip. Major thunderstorms, and cruddy weather rolled in on us at the last minute. It totaly let us down, but lead me to the LFS. I had been planning an upgrade to a 30 gallon, but had ditched that due to funds, or lack thereof. So instead i got a new light, back in april. I still had a bit of cash left over, and an itch to beat the rainy day blues... well let's get back to the LFS. sorry got a bit side tracked.
Any who, at the LFS I saw a brand new, shiny , AGA 15 H sitting on the shelf. Before you know it I was ridding to petco to get some backing for my new toy. Then what do I see when we walk through the door (girlfriend's with me by the way), is this one little Ocellaris. I know, I know, never buy from petco... well I didn't buy him I RESCUED him, and his eyes were so big and cute according to my girlfriend. At least that's how I justified it, and that's how it's going to be! ;)

Well I got home, got to tearing the 12 gallon down, transfering stuff from here to there, setting up the 15, and transfering everything to the new tank. It's running great. My original Ocellaris, Nemo, told the other, Buddy, who was queen of the castle. They've been by each other's side ever since. Everything is looking great, and I plan on using the 12 as a sump.

Enjoy.

43Tank060204.jpg

P.S. I also got some new corals about a month ago. Pictures will come soon, though the zoos I got are pretty small still.

Curtswearing

EK, it looks like you got rid of the in-tank refugium. It sounds like you moved it to the sump.

I can't wait to see the new corals.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Awesome EK! How many pounds of live rock do you have in there? Can you list out your equipment, too? Can't wait to see more pics!

EdgeKrusher

LOL I was about to post that a while back, but since no one seemed interested I just let it go.

Setup
15 H AGA
1 X 96 watt Coralife Quad PC
1 X 3/4 watt Coralife Moonlight
1 X Rio 600 Ph
1 X MiniJet 606 ph
1 x 100watt Wan Bro's titanium heater
CPR BakPak 2R skimmer Mod (uses a MaxiJet 1200)
1/2 " SB
27 lbs LR

Livestock
2 x Ocellaris
1 x Royal Gramma
3 X red legged Hermits
2 X Astrea snails
1 x colony of green with orange center zoos
1 x colony of purple with orange center zoos
1 x colony of a blue/silver zoos
1 x colony of brown with green center zoos (thinmints is what I call em)
Purple, orange, and red shrooms
1 x cabbage leather
2 x pulsing xenia
1 x yellow polyp colony
1 x Feather Duster

That's it so far. I'm waiting until i get back from my July vacation to Chicago to get an HOB Overflow, and add the Sump.

Curt- I did get rid of the little refugium that was in there. It was becoming sore on the eyes, and taking up alot of real estate.

After upgrading my lights I am amazed at the increased growth I've seen out of the corals. I had 0 growth for about 5 months. Now I'm seeing new stuff everyday. I can't wait for the sump to be added so I can clean up the appearance of the tank a little.

Thanks for the kind comments. I'll post more pics soon once I get out of this anti-happy funk.

EK

NaH2O

Contributing Member
EK - what is your maintenance like on this tank? How much top off do you need to do, and water changes? Nano's fascinate me...I really should just try one - gaaa - I'm such a chicken.

EdgeKrusher

I do about a 15%(2.25 gallons) water change every Sunday. I baste the rocks, and clean the glass 3 times a week. I test my CA, and ALK once a month just to make sure it's all in order.
During the winter I top off about 1 gallon every three days. The summer usually requires about 1 gallon every other day. I have fan constantly blowing across the surface to keep the temp at 80.6. the specific gravity is 35.

I thought it might be pushing it adding the 2nd clown, but so far so good. Nemo, my original clown, laid down the law when Buddy was introduced, but that was it. All 3 fish get along splendidly, and the RG has plenty of nooks and cranies to hide in. I do keep a pretty close eye on them when I'm around, but I'm not to worried.

Nikki -I don't think you'd have a problem at all. IMO they are not as tough as some people make them out to be. I started with a Nano, and thanks to you guys and gals, continue to have success. You just have to make sure that, like any other reef tank, that all is in order. The only drawback I've noticed is that it's not big enough. ;)

I'm probably going to be adding some more LR. I was looking at it last night, and it was looking like more could be added, but I'm waiting to add the sump. Once the equipment is out of the tank, I'll have more space to work with.
I'm still torn between getting the CPR CS50 overflow, or a U-Tube. I can't make up my mind. I've seen Wooddoods success with his CPR overflow, but I'm not sure if I want to spend $100 on one. I worry more about the syphon on a U-Tube failing.