Effects of Salinity on testing ???

cracker

Hey Folks, So I know that tests like MG,Alk.& Ca require the salinity need to be proper per the kit used.
How about Nitrates & Phosphates ? The salinity in the cooking barrels ( trying to lower nutrients in old rock) is 1.030 I tested last night and the readings are very low but not zero's yet. So here's what I did to experiment. I have been slowly adding ro water to the barrels to get a salinity of 1.025. & test again. I don't have a lot of turnover in these barrels so it's taking a while. So we shall see if in fact salinity effects these 2 particular tests.
what do You think? Thanks !

DaveK

Salinity doesn't effect nitrates and phosphates as much.

With Mg alk and Ca your measuring actual salts in the water so a change in SG has a direct effect on them.

With nitrates and phosphates you usually have much lower amounts, so a 20% change in salinity by going from 1.025 to 1.030 isn't as big. For example if your water reads 10 ppm in nitrate and you make a 20% change it's still going to be 8 ppm.

With Mg at 1200 ppm a 20% change will reduce it to 960 ppm.

Pat24601

Salinity doesn't effect nitrates and phosphates as much.

With Mg alk and Ca your measuring actual salts in the water so a change in SG has a direct effect on them.

With nitrates and phosphates you usually have much lower amounts, so a 20% change in salinity by going from 1.025 to 1.030 isn't as big. For example if your water reads 10 ppm in nitrate and you make a 20% change it's still going to be 8 ppm.

With Mg at 1200 ppm a 20% change will reduce it to 960 ppm.

This post should be bronzed. It's surprisingly difficult to find this imformation. At least, it was for me.