DYI Frag Disks

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I'm sure frag disks seem cheap but when you go through 1000+ a month the cost can really add up. Below are the basics for making home made frag disks cheap.

I start with a table and put a sheet of plastic on top of it:
disk1.JPG

Next in a 5 gallon bucket I mix the following:

2 parts argonite sand (do not use play sand from the hardware store as it can contain silicate based sand)
1 part standard portland cement (this is not premixed cement as it does not contain sand or rocks)
add water to desired consistency
disk2.JPG

Once it is well mixed I dump it on the table:
disk3.JPG

And then spread it out with a trowel:
disk4.JPG

The key is getting it the right thickness.
disk5.JPG

To cut the disks I use small pieces of thin wall PVC piping. The nice thing about this is you can chose the diameter you want.
disk6.JPG

I then just cut the disk out of the concrete mix with the PVC pipe.
disk7.JPG

This is about 350 disks cut out and took less that 10 minutes to cut.
disk8.JPG

As you can see I did 2 different slightly different sizes. You can cut them any size that you want.
disk9.JPG

The next day they are pretty much dry and I just break them apart.
disk10.JPG

Disks all broken apart. You can see they have a smooth bottom and a rough top for perfect gluing.
disk11.JPG

Once broken apart I will let them dry a few days longer then start curing them. I soak them in water for a couple of months in a 5 gallon bucket. I change out the water every few days by simply dumping the water out and refilling the water. I soak them for a couple of months and then let them dry then they are good to go.

And what is the cost of these disks? The biggest expense is the sand, but I watch craigslist and local boards for cheap or free sand. You don't want to use hardware store sand because of the silicates it can contain. Portland cement is just a few dollars a bag and you can make 1000's of disks per bag. So if you can get cheap or free argonite sand it just takes time. I can make a batch of 350 in less than an hour from start to finish.

fishguy4

Wow thats a very smart and economical way to make frag disks! is there a way to not make it take so long?

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Everything I've read is to cure them for 1 month, I do it 2 just to be safe. I heard people put small batches in the back of the toilet so every time you flush you get a water change.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Everything I've read is to cure them for 1 month, I do it 2 just to be safe. I heard people put small batches in the back of the toilet so every time you flush you get a water change.

ewwww..... pre-colonized.... no thanks...

dmatt88

Good info my man. Looks like its frag disk making time.

..........used coral frags. half off.

Singlefin

Is there a prep before using new disks? Do you need to soak new disks in you tank before use? To build algae or something or can you use new one fresh out of the bag.

Part of me is salty...,

lbiminiblue

I'm sure frag disks seem cheap but when you go through 1000+ a month the cost can really add up. Below are the basics for making home made frag disks cheap.

I start with a table and put a sheet of plastic on top of it:
disk1.JPG

Next in a 5 gallon bucket I mix the following:

2 parts argonite sand (do not use play sand from the hardware store as it can contain silicate based sand)
1 part standard portland cement (this is not premixed cement as it does not contain sand or rocks)
add water to desired consistency
disk2.JPG

Once it is well mixed I dump it on the table:
disk3.JPG

And then spread it out with a trowel:
disk4.JPG

The key is getting it the right thickness.
disk5.JPG

To cut the disks I use small pieces of thin wall PVC piping. The nice thing about this is you can chose the diameter you want.
disk6.JPG

I then just cut the disk out of the concrete mix with the PVC pipe.
disk7.JPG

This is about 350 disks cut out and took less that 10 minutes to cut.
disk8.JPG

As you can see I did 2 different slightly different sizes. You can cut them any size that you want.
disk9.JPG

The next day they are pretty much dry and I just break them apart.
disk10.JPG

Disks all broken apart. You can see they have a smooth bottom and a rough top for perfect gluing.
disk11.JPG

Once broken apart I will let them dry a few days longer then start curing them. I soak them in water for a couple of months in a 5 gallon bucket. I change out the water every few days by simply dumping the water out and refilling the water. I soak them for a couple of months and then let them dry then they are good to go.

And what is the cost of these disks? The biggest expense is the sand, but I watch craigslist and local boards for cheap or free sand. You don't want to use hardware store sand because of the silicates it can contain. Portland cement is just a few dollars a bag and you can make 1000's of disks per bag. So if you can get cheap or free argonite sand it just takes time. I can make a batch of 350 in less than an hour from start to finish.

hey now what about making them to sell them...?

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Is there a prep before using new disks? Do you need to soak new disks in you tank before use? To build algae or something or can you use new one fresh out of the bag.

Part of me is salty...,

Once they have soaked for a couple months I just let them dry out and the start gluing stuff to them.

dmatt88

Its not every day u read red baby nipples. Thanks for the chuckle n the idea.

..........its 5:00 somewhere