Dwarf seahorses

Really ! I have decided I am going to try it and get 6 . I'm trying to cycle the tank now , I broke a piece of rock (out of the tank) in 2 boiled half for 8mins and the other have I put in the tank . I put the boiled rock in a brine shrimp net in the tank so it will get the bacteria but nothing else , will that work and can I safely squeeze some of the water off the filter media that iss in the tank (cycled) or could that contaminate it?

chelseagrin

just put the rock in the tank it wont hurt anything, thats a great place to buy them from they have quality horses. dont buy anything else from them though. not good quality livestock usually.

chelseagrin

i would really just order horses and pipefish from them. i ordered lots of stuff from them and it all comes dead, then they want you to pay half plus shipping even if it arrives dead.

They came yesterday! All healthy 1 pregnant male and the other had a baby in the bag then had 7more in a breeder box! Still waiting on the brine to hatch .

!!HELP!! it's day three and the brine shrimp will not hatch! How long can the seahorses live without food?! I am now trying to use 1 tablespoon of crushed rock salt and a pinch of baking soda w/aged tap water. How do you hatch your eggs successfully ? I am using Decaped eggs.

timinnl

What brand of decap did you buy? The ones meant for hatching or the ones meant as a feed? 3 -4 days tops without food. Since these are WC ones, you might trigger health issuses with the stress they are under.

timinnl

Really ! I have decided I am going to try it and get 6 . I'm trying to cycle the tank now , I broke a piece of rock (out of the tank) in 2 boiled half for 8mins and the other have I put in the tank . I put the boiled rock in a brine shrimp net in the tank so it will get the bacteria but nothing else , will that work and can I safely squeeze some of the water off the filter media that iss in the tank (cycled) or could that contaminate it?

When you boiled the rock, you killed off a lot of the bacteria needed also. Did you run any test to make sure the tank was fully cycled?

Have you had dwarfs? I didnt boil it I put some sand in the back of the filter and put some lr rubble also with a poly pad. I de cap my own . I think I worked it out ( without anyone here's help) I'm now trying to hatch the right amount , but today is day 5 without food . I really needed help !

timinnl

I can't help unless I have more info? I can only go by what you wrote? I broke a piece of rock (out of the tank) in 2 boiled half for 8mins and the other have I put in the tank . I put the boiled rock in a brine shrimp net in the tank so it will get the bacteria but nothing else

Do you have an LFS near you who sells copepods? If so, that should tie you over until the artemia hatches. Did you practice hatching before the dwarfs arrive?

The best thing now is to start a couple of new hatches with the UNDECAPPED artemia in 1.5 liters of salterwater and get the temp up to around 79/80 degrees, set the bubble rate to a med boil. (Enough to move them around and not settle on the bottom.)

Chances are something went wrong during the decapping process.

Yes I have 4 40 liters tank of the dwarfs.

I changed that. I put some live sand in along with some pebbles that I had in the cube . I think I have it worked out now I'm just trying to gather more 1liter bottles , and the original problem was not enough salt.

Of course ! Yes , they are hatching now yesterday was the first day to get a real meal so do you think they have a chance? Also one of the males had babies so now I have several little ones!

timinnl

What are your test results showing. That is great news that they hatched and the dwarfs are eating. I think they should be ok. Just keep an eye on them and see if they fall ill or not? What product/products are you using to enriched the artemia with? Have you consider adding copepods to the diet? Also have you consider adding live mysis as part CUC and food?

Kind Regards,

Tim