Duncan reproduction question

DesertOrchid

Bought a 1 head duncan a few weeks ago. Very healthy and expands well. Was just wondering how they develop new polyps.... Is it a bud from the side of the existing up close to the current polyp or do they start a new stem. I'm asking this as the frag I have has colored tissue up the entire stem into 2 areas where it looks like there was other polyps clipped off. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
My Duncan's bud both ways depending on where there's room.

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.

TylerHaworth

I've never had any Duncans, but if they behave like the LPS I've had then they will do a mixture of splitting and budding.

DesertOrchid

My Duncan's bud both ways depending on where there's room.

Thanks Matt! I thought it was just healing tissue but perhaps there is a new polyp in the making. Yeah!

dmatt88

They grow strange. I've moved them due to no room n they take off in different directions. I've fragged once n now probably 50 heads. My duncans r one of my favorite corals. That n a Hollywood stunner chalice.

dmatt88

PIMPALA said:
they for sure dont split. they just grow new heads.

Yep. N everywhere.

DesertOrchid

Thanks for the reply Pimpala. I kinda figured they didn't split like an anemone but wasn't sure about where new polyps might develope. Rather unpredictable growth pattern it sounds like.
Matt I've seen the pictures of your Duncan..... just gorgeous! Hope mine grows as well. How long did it take for yours to get that many polyps??

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here a growth pic, from my little duncan frag to many heads, they just keep appearing :dance:

IMG_0028-2.jpg

8e912364.jpg

dmatt88

Good question. The smaller Duncan's decided to grow like a flower bouquet n it's probably only grown 3 heads in the last 6 months. The stalk on it is brown.
The larger one grows like a crooked corn stalk with heads popping up along the way. I'm guessing here but probably added 12 heads in the last 6 months. I bought mine established from a buddy getting outta reefing. Now ya got me looking at em. I'll send a growth pic cause there's 6 I never noticed. Since I moved them them growth pattern has changed. Also, noteworthy news. The stalk on this one is green n real healthy. Pics to follow.

dmatt88

nanoreefing4fun said:
Here a growth pic, from my little duncan frag to many heads, they just keep appearing :dance:

Ya Glenn u have the flower bouquet look too. N very nice flowers if I may say so.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks Matt ! I have been really happy how from the little frag he has grown over 6" wide & over 9" tall mine is like a flower bouquet - he enjoys a squirt from the turkey baster & spot feeding twice a week of PE Mysis & Rods Original mixed

dmatt88

Brown stalk on the bouquet.
2011-12-04_15-18-43_625.jpg

Top view
2011-12-04_15-18-28_391.jpg

Green stalk.
2011-12-04_15-18-56_111.jpg

Better pic
2011-12-04_15-18-14_207.jpg

I had two separate frags with one head on it each, and within the first month under PC lighting it had buds develop all the way around the base. Now there are 4-5 heads on each original coral. Easy to take care of and loves to be fed. A fun little coral. Wish they'd drop buds though, I don't want to have to cut them up to make frags.

dmatt88

nanoreefing4fun said:
Nice growth Matt - he looks really healthy ! Do you target feed him?

I'm kinda lazy with target feedings cause no matter what time I feed the fish come to eat the food. Matter of fact a few months back the trigger actually ate the skirt of a few heads cause it wanted the mysis. But ya every week or two they get a mysis/ brine/ rods food mix. I have dropped Chopped silversides in them before n they stay closed for a while.

DesertOrchid

Great pics Matt! I can see the new polyp growth right next to the larger polyps. Mine has a green stalk also so hoping that makes a difference in how they grow. Nice nice duncans!!

Brown stalk on the bouquet.
2011-12-04_15-18-43_625.jpg

Top view
2011-12-04_15-18-28_391.jpg

Green stalk.
2011-12-04_15-18-56_111.jpg

Better pic
2011-12-04_15-18-14_207.jpg