dubble decker tank

Ssullivan

tank1.jpg

do you think this set up would work well?

the fuge will have tunicates, sponges, and a few species of macro algae
the sump will have chato, the skimmer and a deep sand bed

Frankie

RS STAFF
As long as the sump can handle the water volume from a power outage it looks good to me.
Keep in mind your going to want to know the plumbing is perfect with zero tolerance for failure or your going to have a mess on your hands.
Make the stand pipe in both the refugium and the DT as tall as possible.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I agree it "Can" work but WOW what an invitation for a mess. The main thing I see is with this set-up you're having to "Tweak" so many different things that getting it in balance and KEEPING it in balance will be very difficult. I'd greatly simplify that one . . .

twoclowns

I have a system like that with 3 tanks connected to each other and have never had a problem with it. As long as you don't "overdrive" the overflows give yourself a 1.5-2 times safety factor with your overflows. ex. pump pumps 800gph then make sure your overflows are rated for 1200-1600gph for each tank, and that you mark where your high water is on the sump when all pumps are off so that when you have a power outage that the extra water (pipes and overflow areas) have a place to collect and not overflow the sump. My next setup extra large when I get a house will have several (4-5) tanks that cascade in series into each other.

Ssullivan

I'm gonna have a check valve on the pump, the tanks have a surface skimmers built in, so if the power fails it *shouldn't* over flow the sump, but to be safe i was planing on fiber-glassing in the bottom of stand to hold at least 50 g aside from the sump

the dt and refuge are each 30 g tanks, also the drain on the refuge is 1" and the drain on the dt is 1 1/4" the flow through the tanks will be around 300 gph not including the power heads. That's about 4-5 times the tank, fuge, and sump.witch should be enough flow for the system if not i can always add flow and drain.

tektite

Check valves can fail very easily if something gets stuck in them. I'd make sure if this happened you'll still not flood.

bwhit1406

My setup has both tanks feeding from a tee and valve in the return 80% to display 20% to fuge. Fuge stills drains into DT but my Tanks are side by side with the fuge being taller. Drilled the side glass of fuge at top height of Dt. Anyways I went with this setup so if I ever had any problems I could take The fuge out of the system just by turning a valve.